Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator failure on 2002 Forester

I lived with a leaking radiator for several months, thinking it could be a hose or something else.  I finally got around to replacing it which solved the problem.  It's hard to believe it was the original radiator as that is a long time for them to last.  The lower clamps were all frozen and had to be cut off; the transmission cooling lines and lower large rubber hose clamps.  

QWblCuh.jpg

1uOrIC9.jpg

dSYX1u0.jpg

The leak was on the side where the cap screws in.  The problem of diagnosing it was that I could not find a mechanic with a pressure tester.  I got confirmation from a friend after running car for a while.

Edited by ThosL

Plastic radiators have a useful lifespan of 8 years. After that they should be replaced. We are already seeing 2014's fail. Usually the upper radiator nipples get soft and shear away from the tank. Seems to be a shorter life with the new blue OAT coolant than the green stuff. There's obviously some chemistry going on between the plastic and the coolant and the heat cycling. 

Meanwhile my '69 GMC C2500 still has it's factory 4 row heavy duty radiator. Copper/brass FTW. 

GD

• Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 12:31 PM, ThosL said:

I checked with both Auto Zone and Advance and neither had one to rent; just to buy, and I would only use it once if I bought one.

i find that interesting, because we rented from Advance...
basicly, they way their system works, is you "pay" for the set as if purchasing.. but if you bring it back in XX number of days, you get your money back - or most of it anyway.
that way, if it does not come back, they are not out anything.

We checked All the vehicles when we rented.. found the problem with his car (bad hose - had a small split) and found the cap on mine was shot

• Like 1

Tool rental availability has been better at Auto Zone and they did not offer the pressure tester, and in the past some of their tools are not available.  I just checked with the local Advance Auto, so my bad, they have a multi part tool rental that is $265 that goes back on the card when you bring it back.  I assumed they would not have it because they have been a no go on brake tools, breaker bars, etc. in the past when Auto Zone is a green light.