Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Legacy Outback misfiring and CEL flashing Need help

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5

A year ago I bought my 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5.  It was in great condition and ran like a dream.  The CEL was permanently on, the previous owner said it was a bypass (something to do with the exhaust?) and not to worry .  Never had any issues with it until now.

A couple of months ago it started occasionally not starting the first time I would turn the key….I would take the key out, reinsert it and it would start right up.  I did notice that my key was kind of loose in the ignition and I would have to wiggle it to get the ding ding noise. I also noticed a lot of corrosion on the battery terminals.

Three weeks ago I ran it (for the first time) so slow on gas that the fuel light came on.,  I put gas in and I noticed the fuel light came on a couple of miles down the road, but just for about a mile.  It also lagged once going up a hill.  

The next morning it would not start at all….not push start and not by a jump.   The battery drained down to nothing and stayed that way.  

Replaced the fuel filter.  It then started with a jump, but the idle was rough and it wouldn’t stay running.  Also blew out white-ish smoke for a bit. Had a gear head friend take a look….fuel to engine problem was suggested.He also noted that my O2 sensor wasn’t there (probably the bypass previous owner did and reason the CEL always on)  He brought his code reader..but it wouldn’t run long enough to read anything.  

I replaced the fuel filter…..and the spark plugs….and got a new battery.  Fuses have all been checked.  It’s not the MAF either.

Now it starts (still has the ignition issue), but it is misfiring and the check engine light is flashing.  Any input would be much appreciated at this point.  I live 15 miles out of town in a very rural area.  So it has been devastating to my daily life (getting food, propane, auto parts store, and not being able to get to work for 3 weeks).

Code readers are under $20 for a good one.  Most Autoparts stores will read the codes for free, but most will not clear the codes.  Having your own is great.  I've been using this one for years - Autel MS300 Universal OBD2 Scanner Car Code Reader, Turn Off Check Engine Light, Read & Erase Fault Codes, Check Emission Monitor Status CAN Vehicles Diagnostic Scan Tool  $19.99 on amazon.

• Like 1