Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please hellllp

Carlex420

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I’m new to the Subaru platform and was wondering if I can put a 2004-2006 SUBARU BAJA DOHC DUAL AVCS H4 TURBO 2.0L REPLACEMENT ENGINE JDM EJ20X in a 2002 Legacy GT. I have no idea… or if you can please point me in the direction of a good turbo engine that will fit it will be greatly appreciated. TIA. 

The USA '02 GT was NOT turbocharged. If you're intending to do a 'swap', there is a lot more to the process than just putting in a different engine. The wiring harness, exhaust, transmsisison, etc. all require major changes, too. 

There are other Subaru forums that discuss the process. Search on NASIOC, etc.

But, yeah, DO NOT BUY  a Used Subaru turbo engine. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 6:05 PM, wtdash said:

The USA '02 GT was NOT turbocharged. If you're intending to do a 'swap', there is a lot more to the process than just putting in a different engine. The wiring harness, exhaust, transmsisison, etc. all require major changes, too. 

There are other Subaru forums that discuss the process. Search on NASIOC, etc.

But, yeah, DO NOT BUY  a Used Subaru turbo engine. 

Oh yeah I didn’t see that it’s a 2002.I’ll edit my post. 

Original poster can’t put a turbo in that car without extensive wiring and ECU work.  You can’t just “put a turbo engine in a nonturbo vehicle”. It doesn’t work that way. There are a multitude of issues and custom work that’s beyond what someone who needs to ask is able to do. 

people DO swap in turbo engines.

those people usually have $$$TEXAS$$$ to spend. and huge amounts of time. NASIOC has threads about various swaps, maybe read over there?

some people have put in aftermarket superchargers too.

but it really isn't practical for the average guy. I have owned a turbo subaru since it  was new. and even I hesitated to drive it to Colorado. There are not just some extra ways it can fail, they are extra HIGH DOLLAR ways to fail.