Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej25d to EJ22 swap, Obd1 to Obd2 question

Been searching for a quick answer to this and haven’t got a definite one. 

I have a 1999 leg/outback with the Ej25d. It’s getting tired and I think the bottom end is going soon. Regardless I want to get a EJ22 to freshen up and have on deck ready to put into my car. I want the phase1 2.2 for reliability and ease.  

I’ve found a couple 93’ and 94’ motors, If I understand right those were in OBD1 cars. My question is are the engine harnesses the same as in my 99’? Will I be able to plug in and run one of these older motors? I’m aware of the other things like IM and Y-pipe the match the 2.2 heads and EGR system. I don’t mind running no EGR.

thanks guys

5 hours ago, 82GLWag said:

I’ve found a couple 93’ and 94’ motors, My question is are the engine harnesses the same as in my 99’? Will I be able to plug in and run one of these older motors? 

No. 
No. 

Install a 95-98 EJ22 intake manifold onto the 93/94 EJ22 and then it’ll plug into your 99 Outback. 

You can also consider repairing whatever is wrong with your EJ25. If it’s just oil leaks and the EJ22s have insane mileages like many do the risk/reward might favor repairing what you have. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

Ensure the '95-'98 Intake Manifold/IM has the EGR and use this EGR mod  if you don't want the CEL on.

tangent> you could use the wiring harness, throttle body, cam and crank sensors, knock sensor, coil pack etc. from the EJ25D to make the older IM work, but I've not done it, and may be more trouble than it's worth. 

Edited by wtdash

1 hour ago, Nordmany said:

New ecu needed to install ej22

What do you mean?   90-94 EJ22 ECU won't work so you can't just swap the ECU to mitigate the later OBDII and earlier OBDI issues. 

Most of us would do what was posted earlier, where no ECU swap is needed:

On 3/27/2022 at 4:49 PM, idosubaru said:

Install a 95-98 EJ22 intake manifold onto the 93/94 EJ22 and then it’ll plug into your 99 Outback. 

Edited by idosubaru