Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2008 aftermarket radiator has a nipple cover on top passengers side but stock doesn’t?

2008 legacy nonturbo automatic.  New aftermarket radiator Upper passengers side corner has a nipple that’s covered by what appears to be hose type material but it’s a “cap” to plug it off.  Is this meant to stay in place or have a bleeder screw in it?

Are these generic enough to match up at a parts store? Seems odd to not have it ready to go out of the box  

The stock radiator doesn’t have one there.  

Also the rubber has what appears to be cracks so I assume it’s just for packing and not intended to stay in use?

The extra nipple is for turbo models - that port leads to the upper water tank. The manufacturer has consolidated part numbers and provided a cap for the NA models to use the turbo variant and not have to produce both. 

It's usually better, in such circumstances, to use a bit of hose, a bolt, and some ear clamps to make a better "cap" this is not likely to fail like the common caps that come with them. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

The extra nipple is for turbo models - that port leads to the upper water tank. The manufacturer has consolidated part numbers and provided a cap for the NA models to use the turbo variant and not have to produce both. 

It's usually better, in such circumstances, to use a bit of hose, a bolt, and some ear clamps to make a better "cap" this is not likely to fail like the common caps that come with them. 

GD

Excellent, thanks.

I actually had the same thing and it failed pretty quick , maybe it lasted a year before leaking. 

I ended up cleaning the nipple well with some alcohol and then I found just the right size bolt to fit inside the nipple. Along with some JB weld it threaded itself nicely into the hole and is now a permanent part of the radiator !