Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Accurate oil dipstick readings

What I can add to this is we have a 1993 2.2 which can read zero oil the first couple of minutes almost and then later will show actual level. 

This caused a full serve guy (sorry but my wife uses full serve) over filling the engine once. Like significantly. 

None of our older Subarus ever had this problem. Seems to me these newer engines can be a bit retentive when checking oil quickly after stopping. 

I have begun to crack the filler cap open to breathe is out a bit and hope the best. 

As for level ground, Have a ball ? Dog toy in our case. Place the ball down and watch if it rolls. Carry a cheapie HF torpedo level if it’s that critical. A little degree or two should not cause a huge difference. 

Edited by moosens
  • Like 1

if it looks reasonably level to they eye, it should be fine. some parking lots are obviously on a slope, others look reasonably level.. does not need to be dead level, but not on an obvious slope either..
if you are checking oil level when getting gas, check it last, not first... ie: pump your gas, clean windshield, etc.. then check oil level last.

• Like 4

On my 2002 EJ2.5, I have to let the engine get cold (I leave it overnight), and I have to wipe the dipstick dry before checking the oil level. That's the only way that I can get a decent reading.

On my 2017 FB2.5, if I check it in the morning with the engine cold, the dipstick comes out the first time with a good reading, even without wiping it clean (someone at the Subaru design office has finally figured out how to design a dipstick that works!)

Thanks for the advice.  On my newly purchased 2002 Forester I have overfilled it; there seems to be a lot of variability and was not sure what caused that, I thought it could only be the asphalt it was on not being level which can be hard to ascertain.

13 hours ago, ThosL said:

Thanks for the advice.  On my newly purchased 2002 Forester I have overfilled it; there seems to be a lot of variability and was not sure what caused that, I thought it could only be the asphalt it was on not being level which can be hard to ascertain.

yeah, the 02 i had could be difficult at times.
but letting it sit for a few minutes... pull dipstick, wipe well, and then check usually gives a reasonable view.

letting it sit overnight almost invariably showed slightly over full.. but check it within an hour of being run and it was pretty much dead on every time.

• Like 1