Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WOO!! Updated pics of lowered Brat!!

Ok OK so a bunch of you have been PMing me about when I was gonna get more pics of the Brat since I lowered it. I also had a couple PMs about the shaved bumpers and a few other things I've done to it. So I will show pics first, explain later. Here's the pics:

Before I lowered it....http://usmb.net/gallery/album267

After I lowered it.....http://usmb.net/gallery/album225

So first off the shaved bumpers. I unbolted the stock bumpers is all. I plan on filling in the holes from them but I haven't had a chance too. I also put on a set of EA82 steels I got from Andrew for 50 bucks. They were under his 1987 GL turbowagon (Ed might recognize them;)) I have added a nice sounding exhaust made of a custom y-pipe, about 1' 6" of flex pipe, and a Blue Streak glasspack with a GIANT chrome tip on it. It gives it a nice ring. Basically for lowering it, I pulled the coils out of the front, cranked the torsion bars down in the rear and voila!! The ride is a little umm....stiff but I've gotten used to it. Lemme say, this ride is so pimpin, it has attracted some of the local college chicks in my town!!

Nice!!! did you just cut the springs up front? Tell me more, I want to drop my brat as well. I'm trying to figure out a way to make sleeve over (ghetto coil overs) springs work. Gen 1 suspension has its limits ehh?

garner

Yeah - chicks find the Brat to be "cute", which is not a bad thing. I find that my lifted wagon does a better job tho - it does attract more chicks, but unfortunately it attracts men too.... some of the questions are just stupid - "Do you take this off road?" as I'm pulling into a gas station dripping with mud.

GD

ok this is a true minitruck garner so here is what I did... I removed the front coild completly and cranked the torsion bars down so it sits on the bumpstops in the rear. There is NO suspension travel at all but I have thought up a good way to lower it so it has some suspension travel. First off, crank the torsion bars down to where I have them set on mine, remove the rear bumpstops. This should give you some suspension travel in the rear....Cut the front coils and there is about an inch of rubber bumpstop inside the strut cap which you can remove. This will give you about and 1 1/2" in the front. We could get together and go through it. I have my FSM too......:D

But yeah, my Brat died in front of this house cause I neded to fiddle with the carb. So I'm out there with my screwdriver and the hood popped messin with the idle mixture screw when 3 hot chicks come walkin out to get into their car. All three come over and they ask me if I needed help with a little giggle added in. I overheard one say that she thought it was a pretty cool little car....Then after I got it goin again, I hopped into it and took off and they followed me through Corvallis!!!! Yeah!!!:banana:

ok this is a true minitruck garner

man, you need to get all mini-truckin' chop shop on that thing. Make it convertable or figure out how to make it a dump bed!!! Hydraulics, diamond tuck, crome wire wheels, you know, some bling!

I've got to do something with the suspension on my Brat. As it is, if I push down on the rear bumper, then let go it bounces for like 10 seconds. Sitting on the bump stops would be an improvement.