Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Forester Airbag Light on - Code 12?

Battery/alt voltage good? 

Any recent work or prior accidents around air bag stuff: steering wheel, front bumper/sensors or passengers side heater core or dash?

If it’s ever been in an accident or recent work check connectors in that area and front sensors. 

Horn and cruise work?  I’d suspect clock spring, they fail often, unsure how consistent 90s SRS codes are.  

“Airbag module (passenger)” - does that mean the passenger air bag? Can you tell by looking at the whole list of codes?

Well, I did as much as I could over the weekend.  Hard on the Christmas Holiday.  She's heading for Queens NY, so if any USMB members are out there and are willing to help please let me know.  The Forester is running well and I'm sure it will make it with no problems.  Future maintenance items:

- Valve cover gaskets

- Front and rear brakes, currently about 40% pad life left

- Cruise control is not working and Airbag litght is on.  Most likely the clock spring.  (Horn works)

- Clock on the overhead not working, most likely need to be re-soldered.

- Driver seat leather cover needs to be replaced.

- Windshield wipers have a lot of play, most likely one of the rod ends have broken off

- Rear Windshield wiper motor, the brushes are worn.  I pulled the motor apart and cleaned the communicator and brushes.  Who knows how long it will last.

All pretty easy stuff, I wish I knew of all the items and had more time with the Forester.

Edited by lmdew