Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i want to do a mod to my car so the windows will work if the drivers door is open and the key is not in. my thought is to energize the power window relay from the door switch on the drivers door so anytime the door is open the windows should work and then would work normally with the key. where is the power window relay located? its a 2001 outback.

Edited by sirtokesalot

It would be easier to ADD a relay, SPST. If you try to energize the installed relay, you will have to isolate it with a pair of diodes to avoid turning on other electrical items when you open the door. 

I have done similar with MANY of my Subaru's so I can operate the windows in ACC instead of just the ON key position. Connect the contact points to an ALWAYS on power source like the power window fuse or Circuit breaker, the other side to the power feed wire going to the power window switch. Then attach one side of the coil to your ALWAYS on you just used on the contact point and attach the other side of the coil to the door switch which will ground and energize the relay when the door is opened. This way there is NO feedback of power to any other devices when you open the door. 

These are the relays I used ....... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KH17YKU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Ferret54
  • Like 1

oh, a diode on each, the ground and power supply ! Might be the answer to a thing I have with an install.  On my RHD 1999 Forester, the window relay is attached to the side of the sub fuse box behind the coin box. I suspect similar location in your model. good idea too !! I might try myself :) 

I was also thinking of a dash mount momentary button to lock or unlock doors while inside . Why ? If I wanna snooze or added protection from hijack :( and that action of he door snib is awkward

Edited by Steptoe's photos