Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First, sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I figure since it's mostly about the engine it goes here. I found a good deal on a JDM EZ30 and 6MT that I want to put into my XT6 (no problem with engine being newer). My question is, if I just put in a USDM ECU (or even the JDM one) will it pass California smog, or will I have to do other mods? I've read that if the JDM engine is the same as the USDM one it's fine, but it's not the same as the one in the car right now (ER27). Also, the car is currently registered in California but was originally sold in Washington, if this information is relevant.

(I'm assuming they don't care about the transmission 😂)

How much different is the JDM unit to the USDM unit?? 

If you’ve got the factory engine management that matches the engine type and all sensors are working properly I don’t see why it wouldn’t pass a smog test - assuming the test isn’t a standardised test for all engines in a particular class. 

Will the XT6 “mature” and avoid smog testing at a certain age? 

The EZ has to be better in the emissions department compared to the factory EA82 or ER27! 

My 20c from across the big ditch. 

Cheers 

Bennie