Ultimate Subaru Message Board

About the 6 lug conversion....

I assume this question had been on the board before, but I'm going to ask again.

I'm planning to do the 6 lug conversion for my brat. Could there be a possibility of the bolt getting stripped after drilling out the holes, and put the lugs into the holes? I mean the size of the drill bit has to be perfect match or slightly smaller than the size of the bolt right? but what if it gets stripped? What could be done to prevent this?

Thanks

Dan

Get 8 studs from junkyard brake drums. Remove the drums, place them on the ground, screw lug nuts onto the studs to protect the threads, and drive them out with a big hammer. Most junkyards around here don't charge for nuts and bolts. Harvest the other 8 from your existing hubs.

I used a 17/32" drill bit, but you want to start with a 1/16" pilot hole, move up to 1/4", then finish with 17/32". That will keep your hole on target. If you can get a 35/64" bit, that would be ideal. I had to widen the hole just a bit by wobbling the hub a little with the drill bit still in the hole (and the drill press still on) after the hole was complete. Wear eye and hand protection, use a drill press, and clamp down the hub.

After the holes are ready, pull the studs in with an impact driver and a lug nut. You will need washers for spacers.

Your original question will be answered by looking at a stud. The splined area that is pressed into the hub is a larger diameter than the threaded part the lug nut uses. If you are new the fabrication, see if you can get an experienced board member to supervise. You will probably save time, materials, and avoid injury.

There is a related thread that describes the template I used to place the studs exactly where I wanted them:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14499&highlight=template

Good luck!