Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Longevity of EA82 noisy lifters?

EA82, 92 Loyale

the engine has 110K miles but it is ticking due to noisy lifters. There is a lot of info on the forums about that.

I tried adding MMO to the crankcase - no help.

What's next? Replacing the oil pump? I would rather not, as I don't want to put any effort into this vehicle, it seems at the end of its life overall. There are other issues, like rust... etc. It's just not worth messing with.

And even if I replaced the oil pump, it's no guarantee that it will work...

All this raises the question, if I ignore the lifter noise and just drive like that, will it jeopardize the longevity of the engine? Does it matter at all? Will the engine seize some day due to it? It's a relatively low mileage engine. It's mildly annoying, but doesn't affect power or acceleration.

a car that old is gonna have a lot of squeaks and clicks and weird noises. some of them are bad, some just dont do anything. mine's two years newer than yours and still i have to put the stereo on full blast in order to block them out. each noise is a symptom, however, and i definitely recommend checking with a mechanic or someone who knows what their doing about each before doing anything drastic.

btw, my car has 10,000 more miles than yours and i bet i could put another 100,000 before having to replace the engine, and i drive terrible. many people last way longer than that with the same type of car. its your decision but if i were you id at least keep it for a parts car for another subaru should you decide to trash it.

good luck, skeet

Shouldn't do anything really. The ticking is caused by lifters not being properly inflated, and the valve train being slightly loose because of it. Your valves won't open fully, and this will affect your mileage, and performance to a degree, but other than that it will not hurt the engine in the slightest. Ever listen to an EA81 with solid lifters? They have a slight tick all the time because the "looseness" is built right into the adjustment of the valves. I have a solid lifter engine that has 330k on it with no signs of damage. It's not something to be overly worried about, and I think that unless you have a lot of rust on your car, 110k is almost brand new for a subaru. Not to mention it's a 92.... My 85 Brat has 140k and it's just getting broken in.

GD

Looks like you're due for timing belts in about 10k - reseal the oil pump while you're in there. Get the Beck Arnley 039-6320 reseal kit, which has the Mickey Mouse seal, the round body seal, and the shaft seal - NAPA can get it for you.