Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Factory audio

I remember back a few years that my brother had a Subaru GL sedan. I believe that it was mid 80's (It was the mid to late 80s body style anyway). He bought it new and had a factory fit Bose audio system installed. It included an amplifier, radio and cassette player (along with the 4 speakers of course). I remember it sounded amazing. I was young at the time, but I remember being quite impressed by the sound. As my brother is a bit of an audiophile and loves that kind of thing, I would trust that it really did sound good.

Does anyone here have any information of this set up? I spoke with him recently about it and he says that it was a factory option (and really did sound great) but that he had not seen another like it. I have not known many people with Subarus (still don't know ANYONE with an older model from 80's) and have never seen the likes of it. I have been able to find several late 80's GL, DL and Loyal in JY, but have not come across it.

Anyone?

i say dont wait around for that bose system.. although bose is one of the best, for the same price their probably still running on that system you can get something that sounds better. who knows, maybe even a cd player, too! take it to a sound shop and they'll hook you up with a better deal than bose could, i guarantee it. if you are computerly (?) inclined at all, PM me and ill tell you how i rigged up my 6.1 surround in my car for under 100 bucks.

Yeah. I know that it's easy enough to put in an after market stereo (hell, I've got one in there now) but I was hoping to go back to a factory "look" for cheap money. Plus, I don't want a CD player in there as I have my MP3 player hooked through the cassette deck with an adapter.

I guess I was either looking to see if someone on the board had one that they had replaced with a CD or if someone knew if they were popular enough for me to continue looking at the junk yards.

Prolly the easiest way to do this would be to take the regular factory system that I already have in my closet and connect it to an aftermarket amplifier. New speakers might help some too:o

im going to the junky tomorrow..ill look for you, but i almost can guarantee anything that looks like it deals with sound in any way would have already been ripped off by now. all the junkys are in a bad part of town that even dobermans couldnt protect the stocks.

as for on the site, post on the marketplace and theres a rare chance you can find something you like. either way id still upgrade, bose are the top for about a month before they get outdone by generic brands for about half the price. its just a name anymore, like sony. good luck, im sure you'll need it. skeet

ive never heard of that.....the bose option....hmmm...ive got a pioneer CD system in mine, the front looks stock as the speakers fit behind the stock pannels. The back...nothing will really fit unless you get creative...so, those speakers stick out, i need to put grilles on them.

Looks like I have a few options to keep an eye out for. I know that new aftermarket stuff is going to be better than 15-20 year old electronics, but I'm trying to find the best factory set up that I can. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but if anyone comes across anything "interesting" in thier travels, please let me know. It would be appreciated. I'm not necessarily looking for just the Bose brand, it's just that that's the only one that I knew of. If anyone happens to see anything that's an upgrade from the stock systems, I might be interested. I'll post in the market place as well, thanks.