Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what, if any USDM models ran the ECU on the engine block , please?

Knock sensors are simple devices and the ECU is only looking for a resistance value generally. Unless you plan on running poor quality fuel I would just stick a resistor in the circuit and send it. One thing you learn from years of tuning and owning a dyno - knock sensors are one of those "last 1%" items. Generally the engineering and preparation that goes into their use makes them worthless and inconvenient for motorsports, engine swaps, etc. They don't like noisy environments like custom exhaust headers, custom engine mounting situations.... they like very quiet grandma friendly environments. They will usually tell the ECU to pull a bunch of timing from erroneous "knock" detection in the types of environments we stick them in with regards to engine swaps, high performance modifications, etc. You won't find them on race cars. They are not applicable to that environment. Thus why I suggest to just bypass it and forget about it.

Alternatively you could find/measure/guess the frequency response of the stock knock sensor (it's typically chosen based on cylinder diameter), and source something in the same frequency range and change the connector, etc. Knock sensors are just piezo-electric microphones that are tuned to hear a specific resonance frequency of the cylinder bore size. Figure out the frequency and find one similar from any other model. Problem solved. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 3

Jonno, for a moment there I thought you might be fishing for a compatible ECU that didn’t have an immobiliser unit tied into it. 

I’ve not come across this issue with specific sensors for a type of ECU, but then again I’ve always replaced like for like as required. 

Cheers 

Bennie