Ultimate Subaru Message Board

16" 1998 Forester rims on a 2010 Outback?

I have an used set of 16" Forester rims, the alloy kind. Our 2010 Outback has 215/70/16 All weather tires on it, but I'm planning on getting a set of true winter tires for the better braking ability. Will the old Forester rims fit the Outback? Someone is selling some 215/60/16 winter tires. I'm assuming those will work fine.

Same bolt pattern. Bolt pattern changes in 2015. If they clear the rotors they’ll fit.  Im unsure on that. Also steel rims have less clearance and 6 cylinder rotors are larger. If it’s a 6 cylinder 2010 Outback and steel forester rims I don’t think those will clear. 

Unless your snow driving is very easy like the flat land of the mid west or you’re getting studded tires, I’d avoid used winter tires unless the tires are Nokian or Michellin X ice. 

Every other brands performance decreases substantially after like 2 years. Even the highly touted Bridgestone blizzacs. They are great when new, by year three they perform worse in the snow. Not terrible but definitely worse.  I assume they use less chemical protectants in the manufacturing process and they degrade faster.  Something I’ve also seen with all seasons. Granted I haven’t tried every winter tire but I’ve seen quite a few and make the deduction this is a case where you get what you pay for. I’ve seen 7 year old Michellin X Ice look nearly brand new when other brands show their age. Huge difference. It’s not minor and not opinion. 

I wouldn’t want to buy a used winter tire that has unknown amounts of sun and air exposure. UV and oxygen are the key oxidants that degrade the tire materials. Manufacturers use a ton of chemicals to protect them. That’s the chief area tire manufacturers use to cut costs. Prob the same chemicals making fish sterile on the west coast when it washes into the rivers. Gross!

Edited by idosubaru

I've had numerous sets of Blizzaks that are approaching 10 years old still looking good because I store them out of the sun.

My only hands-on experience with X-ices have been on a stage rally car, so I can't speak to treadwear 😜

The Nokian rep (grain of salt) will be quick to tell you that the Hakka is the only winter tire that is the softer compound through the entire depth of the tread, all the others get harder, and will essentially be an all season by about 7/32" (50% useable wear, most start with 10/32 and should be replaced by 4/32). I don't know if I buy that, but I do prefer Hakkas.

The forester wheels will likely be higher offset and maybe even narrower, so they will be set back in the wheel wells a bit. Might complicate strut clearance, but you're running small tires.

33 minutes ago, Numbchux said:

I've had numerous sets of Blizzaks that are approaching 10 years old still looking good because I store them out of the sun.

My only hands-on experience with X-ices have been on a stage rally car, so I can't speak to treadwear 

Interesting, they have a good name, still recommend them to folks in town, city, or flatter areas, and am not saying they aren't good tires, so I'm not surprised. It's almost 100% the back mountain roads I notice it on. I'll test them every year on the back snow covered roads. I have 2 miles of unmaintained commuting roads and 2 more miles of poorly maintained. i don't notice it on the main roads and around town. Myself and others noticed they weren't as good at 5 years as year 1.  Studs would be ideal. Except my daily commute at it's worst is way worse than average in spite of not getting enough total average snow to warrant the noise.