Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 Loyale fuel pump

My FI 87 DL had a pressure damper at the output of the pump that looks much like the ones under the hood. It was leaking out the relief hole so I plugged that with a small screw which also disabled the damper affect. The pump died entirely maybe 4 months later and I installed a generic pump with no damper. It been running like that for over 4000 miles.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K7WV32BMyWhANLZX7

That's  my unit without the rust. The end of the damper unit is totally rusted away. It looks from the photo like it may thread on to the tee in which case I may be able to unthread it and put a plug in to save the pump. The unit is on a car at a remote property with less than a mile of roads. If I can get another 100 miles out it then it will probably outlive me.

The rusted damper appears to have been a press fit over the tee coming off the pump. The hole was a little big for a pipe tap and the depth was limited  but I was able to tap a few threads and install a pipe plug with a generous amount of seal all which is gasoline resistant . My first choice was an epoxy based product but unless specific to gasoline use, may break down. 

The test will be whether is will withstand the pressure.

2 hours ago, saltytheseadog said:

The test will be whether is will withstand the pressure.

My engine is SPFI so roughly 27 PSI fuel pressure is typical for me. You'll probably be fine as long as the tapped hole (plastic?) doesn't crack where the plug is threaded in.

Edited by azdave