Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tcm code 93 2004 outback h6 with vdc

im trying to help a friend out with his at temp light flashing. it has a code 93 Rear vehicle speed sensor. Detects open or shorted input signal circuit. my question is witch sensor is the rear vehicle speed sensor? it also had abs and vdc lights on. the at temp starts flashing as soon as you try to drive it and tcm has code 93. i have read the cel light and forget what code was on at that time but it was not related to transmission or speed signals.

1st question is to make sure this wasn't a recent trans swap or other major work that caused this to pop up?

The rear transmission speed sensor is external and replaceable at the rear of the trans.   It just bolts on.  I'm thinking there isn't another one back there it can be confused with. 

Ideally you test the rear sensor using the FSM diagnostics and see if the sensor is bad or not.

he got the car about a month ago. it has under 100,000 miles on it i believe everything is original on it. the abs and vdc lights were on and recently started with the at temp light. so the sensor i want to check is the one at the furthest back? or is it the one slightly up and forward from the back?

55 minutes ago, lmdew said:

Could head to the yard and pull a complete harness and swap them out.  Sounds like he may have more going on with the trans.

are the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder transmission speed sensors the same? i have spare speed sensors and harnesses from transmissions ive scrapped that slipped. the transmission drives fine and shifts perfect. no slipping the car did sit parked for a while before he got it. mileage is 68,000. the transmission handshake only gave up the code 93 for the speed sensor.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:50 AM, sirtokesalot said:

are the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder transmission speed sensors the same? i have spare speed sensors and harnesses from transmissions ive scrapped that slipped. the transmission drives fine and shifts perfect. no slipping the car did sit parked for a while before he got it. mileage is 68,000. the transmission handshake only gave up the code 93 for the speed sensor.

I’d check the wiring to the sensor if the car sat. Do a continuity and ohm check.  I’ve seen rodent damaged wires multiple times.

If the transmission was swapped it would easily have gotten the more easily found 3.9 gear ratio when it needs a 4.11. And they’ll throw a speed sensor code when that happens. 

The 2003 trans harness are all the same for 4 and 6 and VDC. See here:

https://www.pnwsubaruparts.com/oem-parts/subaru-vehicle-speed-sensor-24030aa041?origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9qKC7NvbggMVrVRHAR15nQW5EAQYAiABEgKnHvD_BwE

The 2004 is a bit of an oddball.  01-04 all VDC outbacks are identical except very minor changes. The trans are interchangeable except for the 03 or 04 changes in the rear solenoid operation.  They changed whether open or close is the operational response to +12volt. Not sure if that change was in the workforce or TCU or at the solenoid.

But when I say oddball it’s very minor people have swapped 2001 and 2004 trans before and I think the jdm options work in all 01-04s as well. 

Edited by idosubaru