Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question: Windshield rubber seal capability between GL's and XT's?

Hey gang, I found a new windshield rubber seal online for sale (part number: 65046GA050), which says it's for an 1985 XT model. I need a replacement one for my 1985 GL (part number: 65046GA060), but those appear to be discontinued EVERYWHERE I look.

My question is, are they the same part (just a different number because their for different vehicles, but may be the same windshield design)?

When I compare the data tables between BOTH models, they both share the same part number series...........so they look to be the same thing?

I don't know anything about the XT, anyone care to confirm if the windshields are the same with the GL's?

Note: It shows both vehicle types share the 65045 series (part 5 on the XT, part 10 on the GL).

GL.JPG

XT.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

You could buy 2 of them and chop them up to piece them together and get a complete fit.  The windshield sets on the sealant, which auto supply shops do not sell the primer,so the sealant won't stick to the frame if you don't use the primer.  The trim is not available either so you either have to use your old jagged pieces or just use the RTV black sealant to make it look like you have trim.  The worst of your problems however, is the metal windshield frame at the base/ bottom/front of the windshield, which  is usually mostly rusted out.  Hopefully you have enough remaining to hold the BONDO GLASS that you are going to use to restore the original tray shape and allow that Bondo to seep through all those holes and the catch the flow through with a sagging duct tape form in order to provide a mechanical attachment for the Bondo to the metal frame.

BTW, you don't need to change the rubber seal.  It is the outside trim that is the impossible to find and generally defective design that you would want to use RTV sealant as a substitute while you are using it as a base to set the windshield on.