Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$450 is probably new and $180 is probably rebuilt. Subarus rebuilt offerings are inconsistent and subject to change. 

legacy axles are a dime a dozen used. $35-$60. buy used and reboot it and you’ll never have to think about it again. I have a few but they’re so easy to find it’s not worth boxing and shipping to someone.

If yours are OEM they can probably be cleaned regressed and rebooted and you’re good to go. 

after market are trash but at least a legacy isn’t lifted at all so the angles are shallower, it’ll be more forgiving of garbage axles. 

Yep. I've started using subie OEM axles for my daughter's 07 OBW, worth the peace of mind. Hate spending $340+ for a single axle but my rebuilder is having reliability issues and I refuse to use aftermarket. Like has already been said, used OEM axles and rebooting kits from rock auto way cheaper, and messier. I've had good luck with removing the axle and rebooting. Never tried the split boots. I like to keep a couple of used OEM spares on hand for my daily driver. 

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I purchased this axle its supposed to be OEM.  But compared to pictures I see it seems to be missing the little shields at the end that I circled.  Will I be able to just pull these off my old one and put them on?  I'll clean up the splines.  Supposed to only have 71k on it and the boot looks good with no leaking anywhere

Edited by evor1

I don't know about newer axles, but for 2007 and earlier were all made by NTN.  Look for the NTN stamped on the cup.  If the axle doesn't have a name stamping or serial number, it's an el cheapo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Yeah I returned it now I am rebooting my old ones.

I put one axle back together but after looking at the manual it says I needed to align the trunion to the shaft as well as the rollers to the trunion.  I didn't do this.  I'm not sure how you can even align the rollers to the trunion doesn't make sense they just spin around.  I didn't put the axle back on yet but do i need to take it apart to align the trunion?  I'm not even sure how I will do this now since I never marked it to begin with.  Are there any factory markings?  If I knew the alignment matter I wouldnt have even removed the trunion.  Could have just removed the boots from the other side

Edited by evor1