Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DL to GL Dash Swap

Hey everyone,

I just recently began doing a dash swap on my '82 Brat. Besides my original dash being worn beyond repair by the sun, I've been meaning to do this as it will be the next major step in my EJ22 swap project. I was able to get a very clean uncracked tan dash for a great price as well as a complete '82 GL wiring harness, which will make the wiring job as easy as it possibly can get. However, I just have some questions while I am doing this:

It's tough to tell for sure, but are the air ducts behind the dash the same in both DL as well as the GL? It seems as though the center area by the climate control may be slightly different, but it is difficult to know for sure. 

Also, while removing all of the wiring to swap the GL harness over, I noticed that there are quite a few wiring connections that are seemingly unused and do not go to anything, in particular where the harness in the engine bay connects to the harness that weaves behind the dash. If they are completely useless, is there any harm in removing them to sort the wiring a little more?  

I’m having a hard time imagining what might be different for ductwork between the two. Very likely the same. 

Those other connectors are for options or maybe for their diagnostic equipment at the time. But when I have a chance I’ll look through my parts catalog with the exploded views and see if I can be more helpful. 

Good luck and wise decision with the EJ22

• Like 1