Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It would all depend on what info the TCU wants and/or shares with the ECU. 

If it’s just a matter of throttle angle, speed sensor, engine revs it should be sweet if you wire it in properly. 

If it wants more from the ECU then it gets more complicated from there… could do a whole body loom swap and drag over the matching engine for the complete setup 🤔 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 3/3/2024 at 2:39 PM, db***** said:

Will a 4eat with sportshift from an 05 Legacy 2.5i swap into a 99 SUS if the diff, axles, and tcu are swapped with the transmission? 

If it does work, the rear transfer solenoid bits are different and need swapped over. Those changed in 03/04

The TCU won’t need swapped if the trans swap works  

99 is an odd year. Outback engines are the same as 95-98 Outback engines. But I think the trans may have went to phase II in 99. 

On 3/8/2024 at 4:15 PM, db***** said:

Thanks for the replies. Would be sweet if it worked. Might have to dig around and do more research. 

Yeah it’s been awhile but 99 Outback/Legacy SUS is odd. The 95-99 Outback legacy engines all swap.  

so it’s hard to imagine the trans doesn’t swap. But - I think those 99s have the Phase II trans.  If the trans has a spin on filter then it’s phase II. 95-98 didn’t have that.  

also 95-99 all EJ25s swap except the 99 Forester and Impreza RS. And all 95-98 EJ22s swap electotncialky but the 99 EJ22 doesn’t for any of them even though the 99 EJ25 does swap with esrkier models for legacy/Outback. Just the 2.2 doesn’t in 99. 

thoroughly confusing year.