Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another XT6 Crossmember Question

I'm swapping an STi 6mt into my XT6 and have the center crossmember piece, but can't find the XT6 front and back pieces (my car is an automatic). Does anyone know where I can get those parts, and until then would it be a problem if I just used those from a regular EA82 chassis car and drilled holes to mount the EJ center piece?

• Like 1

I have a 92 Loyale with an EJ22 swap using a 93 legacy 5MT transmission and rear diff. For a cross-member I am using the EA82 front and rear, the EJ22 center-piece bolts right up to the EA82 cross-members. From what I recall, the XT6 should be similar to the EA82 generation. It's been a long time since I sold my XT6.

I can put my Loyale up on the lift tomorrow and take a couple pictures of my franken-member if it would help. Do you have any pictures up anywhere? Do you have a source for another 6MT?

Edited by Crazyeights

Posted (edited)

Yes, pictures of your crossmember would be helpful. I don't have pictures of my crossmember setup but I can take some tomorrow if needed. Not sure why I need a source for another transmission, but I don't have one.

Would the crossmember from an EA81 chassis be different? I don't remember what car I got the crossmember from but I think it was an 84, not sure if that would be an EA81 or 82

Edited by linkthehero1234

22 minutes ago, linkthehero1234 said:

Not sure why I need a source for another transmission, but I don't have one

To help out crazyeights with getting them one! 

22 minutes ago, linkthehero1234 said:

Would the crossmember from an EA81 chassis be different? I don't remember what car I got the crossmember from but I think it was an 84, not sure if that would be an EA81 or 82

Yes they’re different and not interchangeable without mods. ‘84 is the crossover year of Oz where I am, not sure about the US. 

The EA81 gearbox crossmember has two bolt holes at either end for the mounts. 

The EA82 has a big hole at each end of its gearbox crossmember for a rubber bush and bolt arrangement. 

^ that’s the easiest way to differentiate between the two gearbox crossmembers ;)  

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, that looks good but the problem is the EA82 crossmembers that I have don't have the middle piece, and it's impossible to find XT6 parts. Do any of the early EJ cars have a crossmember that's the same width as the EA82 one?

1 hour ago, Crazyeights said:

The middle piece is from a 93 legacy, the rear piece (XT6) can be made from a flat piece of steel.

Rear part fabbed up - not my picture

So, your front crossmember doesn't have the holes for the Legacy center section?

No, it doesn't. The car it came from didn't have a middle piece, I think the transmission had 2 mounts (one on the front, one on the back). The rear part isn't a big problem, the crossmember I have was flat so I just drilled holes in it; the problem is the front piece because the spot where one of the holes would go is on a slope (while writing this comment I realized I may have been an idiot and had it backwards, will check later.) I know the front piece from an EJ car won't fit, but don't remember checking the width of a rear piece so I'll also check that later to see if I can use something from another car.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My front cross-member pictured above (with the center holes) must have been from a 5MT XT6 then?

Here is another picture showing XT and Legacy cross-members - again not my photo

EJ and XT cross-members

It looks like the Legacy front part is basically the same but longer. Could you cut one up and weld it back together?

Edited by Crazyeights

8 minutes ago, Crazyeights said:

My front cross-member pictured above (with the center holes) must have been from a 5MT XT6 then?

Probably. So I guess my options are to find an XT6 crossmember or to find another front crossmember that's the same width. Do you (or anyone else) know where to find either of these? The front crossmember is about 22 inches between the outer edges of each hole for the bushings.

Posted (edited)

It looks like you need manual trans cross-members from an XT6 with the Legacy center section for a bolt up solution. Perhaps an XT would work also? I'll have to dig out my old factory parts catalog to check. I wanted mine to use all factory parts, I remember that it took some time hunting around and waiting.

Edited by Crazyeights

Posted (edited)

👍

Someone here might have what you need and come forward with a solution. It has happened for me in the past. USMB is one of the best resources for our older Subarus.

Edited by Crazyeights