Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought a 2002 Outback sedan that was JDM 2.0 swapped and I’m trying to figure out what Aisin timing belt kit I need to get for it. So apparently, the intake, as well as the right side cam gear and crank gear were changed to the 2.0 from the original engine. Do I need to worry about the size of the engine or just get what kit is called for for this car? 

Engine size doesn't matter as much as SOHC vs DOHC.  SOHC belt is same on 2.0, 2.2, 2.5 SOHC engines.   DOHC belt matches all DOHC EJ. 

You'll still need to make sure the tensioner matches the one you have: old style vs new style. 

And water pump matches: side exit or bottom exit.  

9 hours ago, forester2002s said:

A reminder: Take photographs of the old timing belt before removal, including timing marks. It will make installing the new belt easier.

Makes things easier if you turn the engine over by hand until all 3 timing marks are straight up before removing the tensioner and belt. Put a axle nut on the crank pulley bolt to space it out.

unL37L.jpg

This was a 2004 OB and those are Aisin tensioner and water pump in this pic.

• Thanks 1