Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pulled xt motor. didn't disconnect torque converter

Only 2nd or third time I have pulled an engine on a Soob.

I didn't remove four bolts from torque converter. Center shaft slide out of tranny about 4-5 inches before I could do anything about it. Didn't hear anything falling out of place. Slid back in ok but being a huge pessimist I am thinking the worst.

Any insight?

rick

w mi

Only 2nd or third time I have pulled an engine on a Soob.

I didn't remove four bolts from torque converter. Center shaft slide out of tranny about 4-5 inches before I could do anything about it. Didn't hear anything falling out of place. Slid back in ok but being a huge pessimist I am thinking the worst.

Any insight?

rick

w mi

Should be fine, as long as you didn't put a bend in the shaft. If the Subaru auto is like most US automatics, you can pull the shaft all the way out, and inspect it. Then slide it back in.

Craven

Make sure you remove the TC from the flywheel. Install the TC back on the tranny, turning it untill you feel the keyway slip in the shaft. Then your ok to put the tranny back on the engine. Failure to do this will result in a ruined tranny, and reattach the TC to the flywheel. Believe me, I had to learn the hard way :o