Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help Sugestions or a trade...

Ok here is my perdicament. I have 1 cherry 1980 dl wagon with 69k on the clock, I want a 4x4, now should I....

A) Perform a complete motor/driveline swap

B) find a cheap 4x4 ru and do the same

C) Sell the ****ing thing and get a nice 4x4

D) just bite the bullit and get a jeep

E) Quit waisting your time and just be ahppy with what I have

I might be interested in a trade for a good running/driving 4x4 (would prefer some mods and maybe a lift) I am also not too scared of a little rust (I can always source a good body to stuff the guts in).

That really depends. How hard would it be for you to get a parts car? Check your local junkyards, and maybe become friends with one of the owners. See if you can get a deal on a tranny and the rear diff/everything else. It's a basic swap over, and I believe all the holes are already in the body, or marked for you. If your planning on off-roading it and want to lift it, this will be a good beginning.

If you want to get alittle tricky, you can even snag the Dual Range 5spd from a EA82. With Jerry's kit it'll swap right over provided you get the tranny and everything else.

You'll need the rear diff, diff carrier, wheel hubs, and possibly the rear torsion bars as well. If youre using another EA81 tranny, you should be able to use the donar cars driveshaft. If your getting the EA82 5spd setup, you'd want to have one made.

Hope all this information helps, and keeps you from buying a jeep :)

-Brian

Junk yard parts here are not a problem I have sourced many just parts for a conversion. I just would hate to butcher a low mile car you know. (the jeep thing is only a last resort) I took my ru to "Red Sands" on my way to the airport. WEEEEEE. It did fine but I would have had more fun in 4wd with a little more suspention travel. has any one here lifted a 2wd yet? kinda thinking a pre runner.

X:

I kinda like answer "E".

I would hang onto a car like that, as a backup if nothing else. Especially if the car has spent it's whole life in New Mexico. Something like that would be a real prize in many other regions of the country.

If you must have 4wd, I would recommend an EA82 era vehicle. The long production run (85-94) assures that you can keep one of these going for a long time, and for not a lot of $$.

good luck, John

X:

I kinda like answer "E".

I would hang onto a car like that, as a backup if nothing else. Especially if the car has spent it's whole life in New Mexico. Something like that would be a real prize in many other regions of the country.

If you must have 4wd, I would recommend an EA82 era vehicle. The long production run (85-94) assures that you can keep one of these going for a long time, and for not a lot of $$.

good luck, John

ok so what would be the "best" of the EA82 as far as all round vehicle. (keep in mind I have a turbo motor that I can get for cheap)

X:

Going with turbo is fine. You could technically put it in any 85-94 GL or Loyale body.

But to make life easy on yourself, you should try to find a turbo car so that you don't have to worry about wiring, and all the little stuff that you would need for a conversion. And since you want 4wd, may as well find one that is set up for that as well.

In my opinion, 1989 was the best all-around year for the EA-82 series. They built quite a few turbo 4wd's in 88 & 89, so those are the years I would reccommend.

The early 90's Loyales would be another good choice, since they are newer, and (you would expect), in better condition. However, there were not nearly as many Loyale 4wd/awd turbos built.

If all else fails, find the best body you can, and do the conversion. Lifes too short to make compromises.

Good Luck, John