Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 carbed wagon 2WD -- fuel delivery problems HELP!!!!

Okay.. I just put a new fuel pump in my dad's buddy's 85 wagon that I had sold him. HE went to drive it to work today, and he said he got it up to about 30 and it started bucking real bad. (He said all the kids at the high school were pointing and laughing like he didnt' know how to drive a stick) So I go over there, and discover that the fuel filter is clogged. So I take it off, go get a new one (Much easier to blow through) and put the new filter on. Nothing. Take the line off teh carb, cycle the pump. Nothing. Go back and look at the filter, which is BEFORE the pump so it should be full of fuel. Empty. Take the line off the filter. Nothing. Take the line off the tank. Nothing. Put the line back on , blow into the line that goes to the filter, hear bubbles in the tank. No fuel. Tried this twice more and got fuel, put it back together, filter now has fuel in it, and it did ran, then died. Dad got underneath (How he did this in his Dockers withotu getting dirt on ANYTHING I don't know!) and pulled the line off. Nothing. We took the sending unit out from up top and peered into the tank. Can't see any of the supply lines or anything, but the tank doesn't appear to have any rust in it. There were some SMALL particles of something but I didnt' see anything that looked liek rust nor big enough to clog a line. What should I do????????? I guess I could try blowing the lines out with my air compressor, but my air compressor is HUGE and I really don't want to haul it across town.. Grr why does this crap have to happen less than a week before I leave!?!?!?!?!

Got a developing problem of a similar vein. I start my carbed 1800, it sputters for a moment, then dies. Second crank, it catches, then runs really rough for about two minutes. Once it idles at 1K, then I can pull away. I only mention because the problem is getting worse and I replaced the fuel filter and it did not help.

The supply line, which is out of view thru the sender hole, is behind a partition, and has a sock filter on the opening, it sucks fuel from the very bottom of the tank. There is one very unorthadox way to check this. That is to swap the fuel line to the filter and the fuel return line at the tank. The return line inside the tank does not reach the bottom couple of inches of gas and debris, and has no filter on it. If that fix's it, you'll need to pull the tank out of the car, to see if someone might have used a rag as a gas cap at one time and now it's inside. It's impossible to clean out well enough without sending to a radiator shop, so consider a used one. And a word to the wise, keep your mouth shut and goggles on when pulling hoses, tanks, and filters from underneath.

Kerry/Roo-Builders

Get yourself a small air tank, like a 5 gallon to take acrossed town. And you can always do what others have done, blow compressed air right up that fuel line into the tank(cap off) and blow that filter sock to pieces! I would imagine that it would be better to do this with as little amount of fuel in the tank as possible, then let the fuel run out into a catch can so the debris doesn't clog up the rest off the system.

It isn't the "right way", but it may get the car home where you can drop the tank and clean it properly.

well we towed the car to my house. I blew out the return lines under the hood, and successfully pressurized the fuel tank. I tried blowing through the supply line under the hood, with no results. I went under the car and hooked the air gun directly up to the rubber hose coming from the hard line out of the fuel tank. I blew into it, and you could hear the air bubbling in the fuel tank, but when you take the air gun out of the hose, no fuel comes out. I tried this several times to no avail. Does anyone have a fuel tank that I could swap in there? John? Anyone who's parting something out????

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
well we towed the car to my house. I blew out the return lines under the hood, and successfully pressurized the fuel tank. I tried blowing through the supply line under the hood, with no results. I went under the car and hooked the air gun directly up to the rubber hose coming from the hard line out of the fuel tank. I blew into it, and you could hear the air bubbling in the fuel tank, but when you take the air gun out of the hose, no fuel comes out. I tried this several times to no avail. Does anyone have a fuel tank that I could swap in there? John? Anyone who's parting something out????

Have you tried Rinkers Salvage for the Tank. If not then I have a 86 2WD 3-Door Couple that I would sell you the tank off of. I do not know if this would be the right size tank. I dont know what "carbed" is. But anyway I am up in Lander.