Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you replace an ea81 with an ea82

pwoens

it goes in almost like it ws made to. youjust have to mix and match the flywheels.

if the ea81 car is a 4x it most likely has the big flywheel. so youwould use the clutch from the ea81, and the flywheel from the ea82. that is assuming they are both the larger flywheels.

other than that, youjust have to do away with hill holder, or replumb it and move it.

motormounts mount up, you might have to move your coil, and lengthen some wires.

Had one in my '82 BRAT. It's tight to the frame-rail, about 1/4" clearance on each side. As stated; relocate or remove the hill-holder. It will interfer with the disty if you don't. Leave the engine mounts loose on the engine until you have the studs thru the crossmember, then make sure engine is "centered" between the rails before you tighten up the mounts. Coil was left in the stock location, and the wires were lengthened to fit. Above all, keep the EA-82 flywheel with the engine, has the timing marks on it for doing the T-belts, plus ignition timing is different between the two engines. You can however, align the flywheel mounting bolts and transfer the marks over to the EA-81 flywheel. You'll also have to drill out the flywheel to crank holes, as the EA-82 uses bigger diameter bolts there.

thats not nearly the same thing, at all.

its a very easy install, and im sure it has been done by peepl who didnt even know it was never done stock.

the ea82 swap is just as easy as replacing the stock motor with the same piece, and if you think installing a subaru motor is a pain in the rump roast, you should try a sidewinder, or a v8.

thats not nearly the same thing, at all.

its a very easy install, and im sure it has been done by peepl who didnt even know it was never done stock.

the ea82 swap is just as easy as replacing the stock motor with the same piece, and if you think installing a subaru motor is a pain in the rump roast, you should try a sidewinder, or a v8.

i was kidding man, i know the 81-82 swap is fairly easy as far as engine swaps go, my point was that you can make just about anything work.