Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'80 ea-71 eng. w/ approx. 17,000 miles!

what is this thing worth?the story is that it got taken out because of a noise, but when the new engine was put in the car still had the same noise.... yep....thats what i thought tooo. it ended up being a cv joint.so therefore it has been stored for 20 years and i could possibly pick it up.should i?oh yeah it is a 1600 . it came out of a wagon ,gl5.

no 5 speed sorry... had the setup with the 4 speed. you have to use the 2wd bellhousing with sidemount starter out of the later ea body styles along with it's clutch and flywheel. which makes the weakest link the clutch in offroading. especially in deep water combined with mud and also in the bigger rocks. the clutch loves to slip on steep inclines also. but put a good weber on it and real good driving skills and you'll keep up with the ea81's. but that clutch set is it's weakest link it's only 7 inches instead of nine.

notice what i've gone to instead... not my first choice, actually i'll never go back to that setup. i replaced 2 clutches in 3 years... do to the fact it was a heavy offroader.

Jared

if it already has the sidemount starter and flywheel. it already has the setup. it's just a bolt to pretty much after that... but your still gonna be using the 4speed and have the clutch slipping. but it's still a decent starting setup coupled with a weber, 4/3 pk lift and 27" super swamper ssr's! that's what mine was. i got it to go everywhere the rest of the hp could. the only trail i didn't try was upper 311 at evan's creek. but the reason i didn't was i blew an axle and didn't have a spare. but no turning back for me. it only get's more modified from here on out.the weber is a definate need with that ea71. all the power is in the higher end, not as much in the lower end.