Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Support Your Sport! MN Offroad Trail Inventory 16.OCT.04 One Day Event.

The Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources is going through and doing an inventory and reclassification of all state forests. As a member of the MN4WD Association I signed up to inventory Solana state forest.

What we will be doing is offroading the trails all day and marking on maps what ones we want to keep. We then submit written comments to the MN.DNR requestiong a re-review of these trails for consideration into the final draft plan.

Current draft plans from the DNR are relased and can be found here: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/input/mgmtplans/ohv/designation/status.html To put it simply we are getting nothing compared to ATV and dirt bikes (OHM). We fought hard in one forest last round; had written comments and we had represenatives at the public hearing who debated for more trails... we were awarded 5 miles of truck (ORV) only trails. Five is better than 0 that they originaly drafted but thats not much when they turn around and award 70+ to ATV/OHM.

Come on up and help us save existing trails for fair use of state forest trails! This can also be some good experience as National forests are doing the same thing under the Federal government and a lot of States are doing similar proceedures on State forests.... maybe right in your own back yard!

I'll post details and maps soon, Thanks!

also, im thinking we will camp for one nite, and have a fun trail runin day.

hopefully chef tim, mcbrat, xt6joe, projectbrat, miles fox(and the guys), anybody thats close enough to roll on up and have a good ole subaru bashin time. =] i know its kinda short notice, but anybody that can possibly make it should, stock subaru, or lifted beast.

I'm working on getting a fullsize print out of that DNR map. That way we can have a good map on hand of all the trails. Then we just find them and circle them on the map. Later we can then do up written comments about the data we find to submit to the DNR for public comment and hopefully SAVE SOME TRAILS!

I can't stress enough how vital this is. Any trails that do not pass the inventory proccess will be CLOSED! We've already lost HUNDREDS of miles this year! :(

ChefTim: It's about a 2 hour drive from Burnsville where I live and that's a southern suburb of Minneapolis. If you like I can use MapPoint to plot it out from your house to Solana to give a milage number.

NumbChux: You can ride shotgun in my rig. Do you have a vehicle to meet up with us? Can't use your Subaru for the weekend? I'm sure a stock 4WD would do just fine out there.

NumbChux: You can ride shotgun in my rig. Do you have a vehicle to meet up with us? Can't use your Subaru for the weekend? I'm sure a stock 4WD would do just fine out there.

It's not my subie I'm worried about, if it was here, I'd be along for sure, but I'm here, and it's in the cities. But, a friend may be coming up to visit that weekend, she drives an Aztek but I doubt she'd like to take it offroad at all, I've tried but she's still got payments, anyway, maybe we could meet you. I'll talk to her tonight, in the meantime, cross your fingers! :drunk:

It's not my subie I'm worried about, if it was here, I'd be along for sure, but I'm here, and it's in the cities. But, a friend may be coming up to visit that weekend, she drives an Aztek but I doubt she'd like to take it offroad at all, I've tried but she's still got payments, anyway, maybe we could meet you. I'll talk to her tonight, in the meantime, cross your fingers! :drunk:

Could you come down that FRI night, get your rig, stay the night at your parents. Then meet up in the morning with us and we'll all caravan up?

If not your friend doesnt have to 'offroad' her Aztek. There is plenty of pavemnt upto the city of Solana. She could park there and yall could ride along with whatever rigs are there.

TTYL

Could you come down that FRI night, get your rig, stay the night at your parents. Then meet up in the morning with us and we'll all caravan up?

If not your friend doesnt have to 'offroad' her Aztek. There is plenty of pavemnt upto the city of Solana. She could park there and yall could ride along with whatever rigs are there.

TTYL

Well, She's not available that weekend, so basically my only hope is that i can convince them when I'm in town the 9th-10th to let me take it up with me, then I'd just have to change the oil and get some tires, and I'm in. OR, if we can figure out a way for me to get joe's xt6 :grin:, though if that does work out, I'll probably be parking it and riding with you guys.

and im planin on campin overnite... you too right morgan?

I would like to yes. Have to see about getting a baby sitter for that night however....

The state forest might change here. I'm talking with the coordinator of this in the MN 4WD Association as she is directing this effort. She knows where we need people the most. Timing is key here so working with her is important.

I think you'll have to count me in on this one!!!! I haven't been around much lately, but this sounds good and it is also falls on a payday weekend.

Joe

Great! Hopefully cost will be minimal on this trip. Just gas, food and whatever a camping plot costs for one night.

I don't think we'll make this one either. It would ba a 5+ hour drive each way. Although it is a great cause. And camping is not one of Vicky's "things"...LOL. Sorry guy, but we will get together one of these trips, I promise!!!! Tim

I hear you; its not a short drive by any stretch of the imagination.

There's always the midwest subaru meet!

Okay the park has changed. The MN 4WD Association needs our help at White Face River state forest. Apparently there are some good trails there that start on county forest land and intersect the state forest land. Closing the state forest to ALL ORVs like they plan to would mean the trails still open on county forest land would be useless! You'd get down the trail and just have to turn around once you hit state forest land. If you even knew when you crossed that line.

I'll edit the other poses to reflect these latest changes. I'll get new maps and stuff posted here very soon. Also I'll find some camping and stuff near by to assist us.

Latest info and maps!

Here is a map from the I35 split south of the cities to White Face River state forest. This is 206 miles so about 3 hours and 30 min with no stops.

whitefaceriver_01.gif

Cutting through Duluth; switching from I35 north to HWY 53 North

whitefaceriver_02.gif

Closeup of pulling into the state forest

whitefaceriver_03.gif

MN DNR draft... notice all trials are red? That means they drafted us NO TRAILS! I'll have a couple nice copies of this printed. Looks bad here due to optimization for internet.

whitefaceriver_orv.jpg

I called the state forest managers office for the area asking about camping. She said that the Whiteface River forest is managed federaly even tho its a state forest. There are camping spots, no reservation, just show up and camp! Bare minimal facilities available.

Hey, I see that route takes you right through duluth! :grin:

I may have figured out another way to come, but if not, would you guys be willing to pick me up on the way through town? I'll bring my digital camera, and food!

Yeah dude; now that we have to go through Dululth we can pick you up. PM me your address or where you would like to meet in Duluth. I can look up in map point how to get there.

• 2 weeks later...