Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacing air suspension

You need a jack, a lugwrench, at least one jackstand, a 12mm, 14mm and a 17 mm sockets

plus you need the struts and such from the junkyard....probably as much as the car is worth.

Given that the car isn't a rustbucket, I can do all 4 corners in well under 2 hours

You need a jack, a lugwrench, at least one jackstand, a 12mm, 14mm and a 17 mm sockets

plus you need the struts and such from the junkyard....probably as much as the car is worth.

Given that the car isn't a rustbucket, I can do all 4 corners in well under 2 hours

sometimes the ball joint can be 17 or 19mm, i have seen them both. if you want to convert from air struts you will need a whole strut assembly, that is the strut,spring,and cap. everything else will fit the same otherwise.

if the front air bags are shot, and the rear are good, the rear will still function properly with conventional struts as long as the bags and lines are good on the rear

to remove the strut, undo the 14mm pinch bolt on the bottom of the strut, take it out, pop the strut away from the knuckle. then undo the top of the strut from the tower. to install, bolt up the top first, then do the bottom.

you may heve to tap a screwdriver or chisel in the pinch on the knuckle to hold it open to get the strut in/out.

you will have to undo the brake line from the caliper and pull it through the tab on the side of the strut to remove it, opposite for installation. each side can be done in 30 min to an hour, depending on your pace and experience.

xt struts will be too low and it will want to push in on the axles, so try for a wagon or sedan for parts. even if you buy new struts, you will still need the cap and spring, so your best bet is junkyard strut assembly, and then you can go with new struts if you like

He might want to know with what type of struts/shocks to use also..
True.. I generally forget to state the obvious.

sometimes the ball joint can be 17 or 19mm

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.. I have never undone the balljoint during a strut replacement.. The tie rod end, yes.. but not the ball joint.

Also, I did forget about the little tab for the brake line. I generally cut those and pop the line out of it.. I leave enough to slide the clip back on. It takes about 1 minute and saves bleeding the brakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for letting me know. I have a 89 GL 10 turbo wagon with lousy air struts. The front one leak out every time I park it. I have found a wrecked gl 4x4 wagon down the street from my house. I am trying to find the owner so I can see if I can take it off their hands and get the suspension.