Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at one

grant

SUBARU WAGON, '84 runs well; new front axles; new brakes; new alternator; needs IM; $650 obo

EVERYTHING in the auto section "runs well". ;)

What should I look for?

Assuming 150k, 4wd, 5sp (that's the strongest one?), regular radio and fair condition... Kelly says $450.

Ask how much oil it eats. How much coolant it eats. When the radiator was last replaced (look at it yourself also) How many times has it been over heated. When were the timing belts done. Ask for service recrods.

Test drive is key. Get it upto FULL temp THEN go. That temp guage shouldnt go past halfway for ANYTHING. Fan(s) should come on and it should stay cool.

I'd still offer that $450 and see what they say. They prolly looked it up on blue book too and added 200 dollars for bargin'n room. Talk them down to what it's really worth :)

Good news : 84= no timing belts

Bad news 84 = No 4wd 5 speed.

450 seems reasonable if its in decent shape. There was one by my old house in WA that was for sale for a looooooonnngg time.. they wanted $1500 for it.. I'm betting its still there at that price.

I've read a little on here, and I get the feeling the 5 speed is the best? But I'd like to figure out exactly why. Is it due to a lower 1st? Stronger case?

While the 84 may not have as good a 1st, the dual range is lower than the later models?

So would the 4vs5 speed argument be canceled out?

So the 84 version of the EA81 has a chain?

Okay... It was a 2wd!!!

How about this one...

Year: 1986 Make: Subaru Model: station wagon 4x4 Miles: 200000 Description: 4cyl. turbo, 4x4, 5-speed runs great, some rust, digital dash, moon roof power everything, many new parts Asking Price: $900.00

He said a friend gave it to him running poorly. He replaced the turbo, and thought the 4th cyl was dead. He did a compression test and it came out to 120, so he put in a new injector and it runs perfectly.

He said it has push button 4wd. But didn't think it had a high/low handle.

Is the EA-82T a good motor for offroad? As long as it doesn't suck water?

skeet's poor assessment (corrections must be made):

turbos arent good for offroad. too high-maintenance for bumpy rides, i assume.

if its got all that fancy schmancy crap (ie: moon roof, digidash) its a gl-10 i believe. correct me if im wrong, but dl's were scrap metal compared to those.

the compression in only one cylinder doesnt matter much, as long as the compression matches up with the other cylinders.

gl's came with d/r's, not push-buttons. i thought those came along in loyales...?

ask him about the parts he replaced. i personally wouldnt go for over 800, and would aim for 700 if i could get away w/ it. ask him last time he replaced:

axles

timing belts

fluids

if it looks like it shouldnt be there, question it.

just my .02, based on my prev. soob-buying adventures. good luck.

I did a carfax free thing and only got a little info. But at least it shows the brand.

Vin: JF2AN55B9GD437013

Year/Make/Model: 1986 SUBARU GL10 4WD

Body Style: Station Wagon

Engine: 1.8L L4 TURBO

I am going to try to go see the thing on Sunday. Its a 1.5hour drive out there. I've noticed so far that according to this site the 5 speed is a dual range,.

I think I'm going to give up./ Can't tell any more from here...

Being a turbo, its highly unlilely its a D/R.. most likely a Pushbutton S/R 5 speed.

If its in good shape, runs well and not rusted all to hell, $900 is not too bad, but being almost 20 ytears old, its bound to break on you. Plan on doing a couple hundred dollars in maintenance as soon as you get it home unless they can produce proof that maintenance has been done.

As was said above, its not the best foundation for an offroad beast, but it will do well in the snow and is am all around fun car.. but then again, I'm rather partial to GL-10 Turbo Wagons.. I have had... a few.