Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible D/R, turbo; need fenders/wheels

Can't seem to find any solid answers, so posting my own. Just bought a 90 loyale 4wd MT wagon. Need to put a new timing belt in. Has 190k on it. Got car for free, so want to see if there's anything I can do to make this more fun to drive.

First, can I put the D/R 4wd in it, and if so, what do I need?

Second, can I put the factory turbo system on it, and if so, what do I need?

Finally, I need a pair of fenders, and a set of wheels and tires. Anyone in the NE area, please email or IM me. Thanks in advance!

If its a MT, it should already have a 5 D/R in it. Did they come with single range that year?

Putting a turbo on it is possible but your looking at alot of work and parts. Its easier to start with a turbo Soob than do the comversion.

Should be a few folks in your area that might have some fenders, Moosens would be one.

If its a MT, it should already have a 5 D/R in it. Did they come with single range that year?

Putting a turbo on it is possible but your looking at alot of work and parts. Its easier to start with a turbo Soob than do the comversion.

Should be a few folks in your area that might have some fenders, Moosens would be one.

It's only a pushbutton single range. And it's definitely a loyale, and those began in '90, if I'm not mistaken, and that's what year this is.

If I get a hold of a turbo wagon for cheap, what would need to be taken, and what's shared? Block/head, tranny, etc? Ignition system? Is it as simple as changing the ECU and intake/exhausts?

Yours should be SPFI, so your ok for fuel lines. You will need the fuel pump tho, different rates. The engine block is different also, your has a higher compression and the turbo isnt. Cross member needs to be changed in order to accept the cross over pipe, and the rest of the exhaust is also needed. The ECU is different too, so basically everything in the wagon needs to be transplanted. Oh, the axles are different also.

Like I said, lots of work and parts.

my wagon had a turbo swap done to it last month....pm me or catch me on aim and i'll fill you in on the deatils...oh BTW it's a big frikkin pain in the @ss. i would suggest to buy a turbo wagon:lol:

Forgetting the turbo, thanks guys :)

Subaru styles, I swear you're the only guy in the world with a subie wagon that looks as good as yours does (not as an offroad vehicle, I mean.) Nice work, seriously.

Anyone on the D/R swap? If it ain't gonna be fast, I may as well look at other things. Oh, and what's the biggest tire/rim combo I can get under the car stock? I'm gonna custom fab a bigger lift next summer, but until then, the stockers gotta go.

Anyone on the D/R swap? If it ain't gonna be fast, I may as well look at other things. Oh, and what's the biggest tire/rim combo I can get under the car stock? I'm gonna custom fab a bigger lift next summer, but until then, the stockers gotta go.

That depends on how much tire you want. Realistically, the tallest tire you can fit is about a 29" tire. THose are available on both 14 and 15-inch wheels, but obviously the 14" wheel will give you more sidewall, something you really can't have too much of when off roading. :)

Just adjust the suspension all the way up and swap in a set of 14" steel wheels from a Peugeot 505 station wagon.

That depends on how much tire you want. Realistically, the tallest tire you can fit is about a 29" tire. THose are available on both 14 and 15-inch wheels, but obviously the 14" wheel will give you more sidewall, something you really can't have too much of when off roading. :)

Just adjust the suspension all the way up and swap in a set of 14" steel wheels from a Peugeot 505 station wagon.

Well, this is my daily driver, and probably won't see much offroad, as I have a Jeep dedicated for that. I don't need anything too big, and I also don't want to lose too much power by getting tires too big for the wimpy engine to turn. I just want some better grip in the snow and a wider wheel and tire to handle better. I'm also not finding any pug wheels either.