Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cutting out on acceleration, again

Well, the new cap, rotor, plugs, and wires seemed to help, so I thought. But the cutouts are back. It seems to cutout when I am accelerating harder rather than a slow acceleration. AND it appears to do it alot worse before the turbo kicks in, so I dont think it has anything to do with turbo stuff. When the turbo kicks in I feel only a little cutout once in a while. But upon acceleration before turbo it does it all the time??

Any ideas?? 88 gl turbo wagon 5spd s/r running the expensive gas 92 octane I believe?? I tried the 89 octane and same problem??

Yeah, fuel filter, mine had the same sort of problem, and the sucker was getting clogged up. I very rarely have a problem with it now, so i think that there was a little bit more whatever that got clogged in the filter, but it fixed the problem....now it's one of those problems that happens too infrequently to show anyone unless I don't want them to see it.

• 2 months later...

Well, I have been putting up with the stutterings and hesitations but they are really starting to get annoying. I replaced the fuel filter, cap/rotor, plugs, wires, and air filter. It seems to stutter when I really give it gas hard. I does it with turbo on or turbo off. What else can I check?? Could a timing belt be off one tooth, or maybe even the timing itself is off??? I replaced the timing belts about 6 months ago and I honestly dont remember if it stuttered before the replacements or not???

Please help. Im hoping Barracuda's problems didnt jump from his car to mine.

Sounds to me like you might have a clogged fuel tank...inside the tank there is also a filter on the end of the tube that sucks the fuel up and out of the tank and to the fuel pump...after months of this problem in my 87 RX I took out the tank and cut it open to find a ton of sludge and rust...Cleaned the hole thing out and welded it back shut. It ran great for about a month before my welding slag got caught in the same filter and clogged it again...Bought a new tank of a a guy on this board for $20 and havnt had a problem again. I DONT reccomend cutting open the tank and rewelding in...it was a real pain in the *****...good luck

my dl spfi d/r 4wd wagon did the same thing ,i advanced the timming to 22degrees , under the hood it says +or - ,2 degrees , it fixed my problem ,just my .2
Any downsides to this??? I'll check the timing this morning. Thanks

Sounds to me like you might have a clogged fuel tank...inside the tank there is also a filter on the end of the tube that sucks the fuel up and out of the tank and to the fuel pump...after months of this problem in my 87 RX I took out the tank and cut it open to find a ton of sludge and rust...Cleaned the hole thing out and welded it back shut. It ran great for about a month before my welding slag got caught in the same filter and clogged it again...Bought a new tank of a a guy on this board for $20 and havnt had a problem again. I DONT reccomend cutting open the tank and rewelding in...it was a real pain in the *****...good luck
Cool...this thing sat for several years before I got it so it could be a possibility....thanks. Dont think you have to worry about me cutting the gas tank and rewelding ;)

One more thought...

I'm not familiar with Subaru injection but I assume you're injection uses some sort of air mass or air volume sensor. You should locate and inspect its operation. If it's dirty or bent or something and the operation is slow or sticky, it will cause a overly rich condition (stumble followed by a 'throaty' growl) under hard acceleration.

The early Bosch air volume sensor, used in L-Jetronic, was/is prone to this when it gets dirty. A good and careful cleaning (carb cleaner works well) makes all well.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.