Ultimate Subaru Message Board

John Mudrat - Adapter or others with answers

P K

Still contimplating the EJ to EA adapter. As you know, I was going the reverse, that is, putting the EA82 5 speed dual-range behind the EJ22 in my Legacy.

1. In trying this, I need to know if I have to buy and use EA axles, meaning 4-lug wheels in front? Or will the EA axles work with my Legacy front discs? Certainly my EJ axles wont mesh in the EA82 trans will they?

2. Legacy 5 speed (current) and EA82 5 speed D/R (proposed) might be different lengths, so now I need to modify my driveshaft? Hopefully not having to lengthen it - argh?

Anyone with answers appreciated, thank you. r/PK.

I'm currently running EJ axles on the front of my RX for my 5 lug conversion. I know this works because my tranny is a turbo.

For the d/r 5spd you would need to have the trans side cup portion of an ea82 nonturbo axle put on an EJ axle.

SubaruStyles did something similar to this in his 5-lug conversion. Only it was XT6 axles instead of EJ axles.

cvaxles.com should be able to do this for ya!

If I remember correctly, the EJ series axles are four milimeters longer then the EA82 series, so basically they are the same length. Also, you couldn't use EA82 series axle with your Legacy front suspension, the bearing is different. Your EJ axle will probably have 25 splines, so you will pobably have to get the inside joint changed, I believe they will interchange. When I installed an EJ setup into an EA82 series car, I needed to shorten the EA82 drive line 55mm, so the EA tranny would be shorter then your current drive line. The one thing I didn't do was to see if I could switch drivelines, if so, all you'll need is an EA82 driveline.