Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 GL leaking coolent from somewhere

I finally got my 85 GL running after 6 months of sitting (needed a distributor). It runs great now, but is leaking coolent from somewhere. Its pooling on the top left of the engine when the car heats up, and then drips down to the ground. Its not a small leak, its coming out pretty good. The hose connections look fine, and the car has a brand new radiator and water pump installed. I just can't see where it is coming from. If someone can help, I need to get this car fixed so i can put it up for sale asap.

Thanks,

Matt

I assume you are talking about left as viewed from the front of the car. Thermostat housing gasket, intake manifold gasket, the little hoses that connect to the intake manifold, and coolant temperature sensor are all possible places.

If it's left as you sit in the drivers seat, then thermostat housing and coolant temp sensor can pretty much be ruled out.

Since it is a sizable leak, I would just clean everything off really well, start the car, and see if you can see where its coming from. It should be relatively evident.

Best of luck!

Yes, its looking from the front of the car. I suspect its the thermostat housing, as thats the only thing that hasn't been replaced, and the pool of coolent is pretty much right under it. ALTHOUGH, I could NOT see it dripping while the car was running, I just noticed a pool of coolent on the ground after a while. Very strange.

I'd just throw on a new thermostat housing gasket. They're cheap and pretty quick/easy to replace. You might pull the temp sensor and put some sealant on while you're at it. Those don't leak very often, but if it was my car, it would make me feel better;) .

Edit: Also, I've had good luck putting the factory subaru gasket on dry (no sealant), but if you want to use any kind of sealant, use Permatex Aviation Gasket Maker. It does a great job sealing and is really easy to clean off if you have to take it apart again for any reason.

• 1 year later...