Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru CV shaft

Hello,

I was wondering if you guys know what maximum angle the CV shaft can take and still rotate. We're not planning on running it an angle, but with 14" of travel on each side (8" in compression and 6" in droop), we're looking at a substantial angle (like 30-35 degrees in compression and 20-25 degrees in droop).

Normal driving, the axle will be close to straight, it'll only need those angles when we're jumping or landing hard. I'm thinking if they last 250 miles, we're happy. The competition is a 100 mile enduro and a 4 hour enduro, plus tractor pull, hill climb, drag race and rock climbing.

Thanks to Jason from this board (bajavwnsoobnut) we have the differential from an '83. Would any CV joint from the 80s bolt up? We don't care about the length as we'll cut/weld as needed, we just care about what years will bolt up to this differential. Also, please let me know if you guys know of anyone selling axle shafts that will fit this differential and the driveshaft that will fit this differential.

Thanks a lot,

Andre S

PS: this is what we're building: http://psubaja.spymac.net/

basically turbo 4x4 front axles have 25 spines on the tranny stubs and Na have 23. btw 2wd have smaller joints i think. Apprently the hub side of the axle is the same thruout. And rear axles are the same regardless of turbo/Na. And I think ea82 axles are a little longer than ea81.