Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new fog lights

I added a set of fog lights to the loyale this afternoon. $20.00 worth of lights and 1 hour of time was all it took. I posted new pictures of the car in the gallery if anyone is interested. Definitely not a major change, but I was glad to get them on there. I was most pleased with my dremel work in installing the switch in one of the open slots on the dash.

A relay is a device that's sort of like a remote control. It's a little electric "box" with four terminals. One connects to battery positive, one goes to the load (lights in this case), one goes to the dash switch, and one goes to chassis ground. Rather than running the power for the lights all the way back to the switch on your dash and then to the lights, you can connect power straight to the lights with a relay in there to control the circuit. The relay is controlled by a small current turned on or off by a switch on the dash. If the lights cost $20, it likely just has a toggle switch and no relay.

A relay and fused wiring is highly recommended...I used 4 high wattage lights and the toggle switch got pretty warm....a high amp relay would have taken care of that.

the wagon almost burned to the ground one day...the non fused/non relay'd AC circuit I have rigged up shorted out and the wiring melted all the insulation....causing smoke and the wiring melting into its nearest neighbors.