Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why am i only getting 19mpg (86 gl wagon)

this is my 86 gl 4wd d/r wagon. its all in town driving back and forth to school and work. i calculated between 19-20mpg. i really dont even get my foot into much at all, i try to drive the car as normal as i can. new fuel filter, good plugs, new air filter, and im about to put synthetic in it for the winter. what else can i do? think its that hi-crappy carb? the car really doesnt seem to have much go either hope someone can help

since i have no carbs, beside my brat, try some sea foam in the carb, it's like 5 bucks at napa , pour it into the carb and kill the motor ,let it set 15- 20 min , it will smoke alot , so do it outside , is the timming right? are you running cheaper gas? there are other board members that will disgree ,but running higher octine always help my carb motor , maybe it is just me but i buy my gas from shell in all my subaru's

Replace the Oxygen sensor.
Any guess how far the EGO sensor can go "bad" before the ECU will display codes? My wife's T-wagon looks rich, made me think EGO sensor, but my distracted mind said, "nah, it would be throwing codes." But it would have to be pretty serious and/or traumatic (broken wire) before it would light the CEL, right(ish)?

Any guess how far the EGO sensor can go "bad" before the ECU will display codes? My wife's T-wagon looks rich, made me think EGO sensor, but my distracted mind said, "nah, it would be throwing codes." But it would have to be pretty serious and/or traumatic (broken wire) before it would light the CEL, right(ish)?

an o2 sensor will get sluglish before it goes out. so it still works just the ocselations<i know its spelled wrong>won't be as quick and so the injectors can't adjust the fuel as often as it should hope i made that a little more clear and if i didn't just tell me to shut up

actually i just remembered, it doesnt have a oxygen sensor? whats with that
Would you like to clarify that, or was it totally rhetorical?

Assuming this a non-turbo, do you mean that you do not have a place for the O2 sensor in the y-pipe/cat? Or that there is something plugging the O2 sensor bung?

is the car carbed?

if yes it prob. does not have an o2 sensor.

pull of the top of the air cleaner and start it up. the choke should be closed when it is cold. then as the car warms up it should slowly open until it is open all the way.

if it does not open all the way, this would cause an overly rich condition and poor gas mileage.

just a thought....

oh, and generally speaking- if the car is carbed, it generally wont have an o2 sensor,the o2 sensor would usually be used with fuel injection which is generally controlled by a computer of some kind.

a carbed car is basically all mechanical- generally no computer controlling a mixture- so no need for an o2 sensor for a computer to read.

remember- i said generally speaking- i think there were some soobs with electronic feedback carbs, with an o2 sensor and a computer. sold generally in ca. and other emissioned controlled states in the 1980s. who knows where those cars are now, could be anywhere.

does that make any sense?

oh, and generally speaking- if the car is carbed, it generally wont have an o2 sensor,the o2 sensor would usually be used with fuel injection which is generally controlled by a computer of some kind.

a carbed car is basically all mechanical- generally no computer controlling a mixture- so no need for an o2 sensor for a computer to read.

remember- i said generally speaking- i think there were some soobs with electronic feedback carbs, with an o2 sensor and a computer. sold generally in ca. and other emissioned controlled states in the 1980s. who knows where those cars are now, could be anywhere.

does that make any sense?

Weird idea, but when was the last time you changed out the air filter? When I replaced mine in my 1984 GL Hatchback, the gas mileage went from 23 MPG to 28 MPG.

Dog1

air filter is brand new.... also i have a 85 parts car with a manual that has a o2 sensor. probably a CA car, my car is carbed as this one to.. the choke was also worked on my my dads mechanic and that all works good now i should probably get a timing light and see what thats like, how about spark plug wires? would they change much, how do i know when they are bad