Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T waterpump differences?

well my waterpump in my RX is like totally shot so I was calling around on prices and one place said that there's a difference in them height wise. The shorter one is more expensive then the longer one. What would my '89 RX have? The shorter one or the longer one? Another place I called asked if it was a coupe and I said yes and there were no different length waterpumps that I had to choose from, just a new one or a remand one. What a weird day....

From what I understand, its with or without A/C, but I dont remember which goes with which for sure and if it applies to factory A/C only or the dealer instaled type aswell (A/C pump outside alt.). I do know that when I bought thw water pump for my '87 GL wagon (no A/C) the parts guy said one is much more common, so I got that one and it fit (I still have the old pump if you want me to measure it).

Sorry I can't br more help, I'm sure someone knows more

Gary

I got one for an 87 spfi with A/C that is LONG

one on my 86 Twagon with A/C is SHORT.

Didn't realize until I installed the pump the accessory pullys whouldn't line up, a quik trip to the jy fixed the problem. just had to get a 4 Bolt Pully

My turbo wagon had the pully with 8 bolts = SHORT PUMP

SPFI had pully with 4 bolts = LONG PUMP I guess technically they are studs off of the Water pump

Hope this helps Good luck.

well my waterpump has 4 studs coming out of it. Thats the only style I've seen on any EA82 motor. I've done work on an '86 turbosedan, an '87 turbowagon, an '86 XT4 MPFI nonturbo, and a few others. Do you mean on your waterpump that it has 8 studs coming out of it instead of 4? Weird.....