Ultimate Subaru Message Board

noise from the rear end...

First guess... CV joint. Could be something in the brakes, try getting on and off the brakes when you hear it... does the noise change. Also might be in the rear diff... try it in and out of 4WD to see if it makes a difference. Since its a low speed noise you might try getting it up on jack stands and spinning the wheels by hand.

Just my first thoughts

Gary

check your cv boots...see if one is ripped. clicking while turning is almost always a cv boot. very rarely is it something else. they CAN click even if the boots are not torn, but usually they'll be torn. check behind each wheel and look for clicking. should be in the front, i've never heard the backs click but check them as well. i think you're wasting time looking at anything until you're positive your cv joints are fine.

My '82 wagon would (does?) make a rapid clicking noise (think playing card in bike spokes, but metallic) at low speed, turning or not. Still don't know what it was (is). But since I pulled the axles off and also replaced wheel bearings and it still made the noise, doubt if it was axle/diff related...