Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lots-o-questions: 3-door vs. RX and more

ok so I'm going to be picking all of my parts up on Sunday, YAY!!! I have a few questions though.

#1. Will just the rear glass from a 3-door match the glass in an RX? Just want to be 100% sure of this before I get it and find out it won't fit.

#2. Will a carbed gas tank from a wagon fit into my RX? Would I have any problems with the outlet/return lines being different size etc?

#3. Do all FT4WD d/r 5-speed trannies have the diff lock? I believe that the only cars that came with this tranny were the RXs but I'm not sure. I have been told tha they do but I also want to be 100% sure on this as well.

#4. Would the rear quarter window trim be the same from the 3-doors to my black RX?

#5. Anyone put air suspension into a car that never came with it? I'm planning on doing a 5-lug swap but I also want to put the air suspension in it as well from the XT6.

#6. Does anyone make an aftermarket body kit for the EA82s? Would it be easier to go find an RX bodykit since mine never came with more then just the air dam on it?

#7. Do I have to get the linkage to match the tranny or can I use a part-time shift linkage?

Thanks for all who reply to this since I'm still kinda new to the whole EA82 thing. Its been gen 1s for me all the way!!!

well I was informed last night that the FT4wd d/r 5-speed tranny I'm getting turns out to be a part-time from an '85 RX. Grrrr..... Fortunatly, I found a RX tranny and the bodykit pieces I need back home so if the 4EAT in the RX right now works good enough until Xmas time, then Andrew will bring the tranny and the bodykit pieces back with him for me where I will have everything else to do the 5-speed conversion waiting(brand new XT6 lightened flywheel and stage 2 clutch):) If not, then he part time will be going into the RX for a short while. Ok so I basically got all of my questions answered, and this is how they go...

#1 will work

#2 will work

#3 it does

#4 will work

#5 I have some ideas in the works...;)

#6 As Brad said "Hell no"

#7 yes but use the linkage from the same tranny....

Thanks guys!

I would think te whole front end is different between the XT and the RX. I looked at an XT for awhile and saw that there are some major differences that would make it too hard and not worth while to do. It'd just be easier to make your own bodykit rather ten try to adapt it to make it work. I gto some ideas up my sleeves like fender flares to hold a nice set of 17's, maybe 18's if I'm lucky:D