Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why and where!?!?

WJM

Why do the rear hatches leak?

Where do they leak?

If it would stop raining out I would go and research that myself....

This is on an 87 RX 3 Door Coupe mind you all...

Im tired of the moisture inside, so it fogs up when its wet out (rear defrost doesnt work...grrr...), and it has a kinda 'smell' to it after sitting in the sun a few days...and...im tired of "Lake swish around during cornering" and such.... :banghead:

Well at least on my RX, it doesn't leak under rain/snow conditions but under higher pressure wash it leaks bad from the bottom portion where it seals up against the deck where it's flat above the tail lights. It then leaks down into the little cargo cubbie. I noticed that after the first really good scrubing on my RX, and that little swishing noise your talking about was 2" of water in my cargo cubbie. Funny how there was no drainage holes either in the cargo cubbies?..there is now in mine at least (thanks to my drill). I looked for some adjustments and didn't really see any, might be some in the latch to hold it tighter. My seal still feels real good but doesn't seem to seal good there, bad design I guess. Thinking that in that stretch where it's flat just can't hold a good seal. Interested to hear solutions myself.

Edit: after re-reading that, I've had too much to drink but got my point across.. :drunk:

Good call on the tail lights Qman, will have to scope that out on mine. I seem to recall these tail lights being glued or sealed in though?(broken one or two trying to get them out at a JY). Maybe I can reseal them from the inside?

And yes can't say you fixed it without telling us how JWX...inquiring minds want to know....