Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaking differential fluid.....seal replacement??help

I have a 91 Loyale wagon, 4WD auto. (non-turbo)....definitely has a diff. fluid leak....looks like it is coming from the stub on the side of the tranny where the CV axle connects (maybe both sides).

--How tough is seal to replace?

--Can I do it without removing tranny (oh God please say yes,,,,LOL)

would I HAVE to remove Y pipe --you know what will happen if I do...a couple of threads will strip in the engine block(but I can deal with that)

--Pry the seal out and push/hammer a new one in(HOW--this is the big question)?

thanks

well...if I had a manual I wouldn't need to ask...LOL....I don't think a Haynes would cover this would it?...anyway....Haynes stinks...I could write a better book for the do-it-yourselfer.

Best book ever was John Muirs......wish he still wrote them...a genius

• 3 weeks later...

is this a 4EAT transmission? if it's the front seals on a 4EAT then i think you will want to get some detailed information before attempting this. i have 4EAT's in my XT6's...this seal is tricky to replace and the outer housing cover you remove to get to it is a critical part and requires proper installation. i can't offer more detail because i will never replace it unless it is leaking and that hasn't happened yet.

Grossgary

what do you mean by "front" seals?

the it is leaking where the axle stubs attach to the side of the tranny...

How would I know if it were a 4EAT tranny?

thx

is this a 4EAT transmission? if it's the front seals on a 4EAT then i think you will want to get some detailed information before attempting this. i have 4EAT's in my XT6's...this seal is tricky to replace and the outer housing cover you remove to get to it is a critical part and requires proper installation. i can't offer more detail because i will never replace it unless it is leaking and that hasn't happened yet.

Grossgary

what do you mean by "front" seals?

the it is leaking where the axle stubs attach to the side of the tranny...

How would I know if it were a 4EAT tranny?

thx

WAG, he was differentiating (no pun intended) between front and back diff, although you said side of tranny. As I said, WAG.

The 4EAT is the 4-speed automatic. So, the question is whether you have a 3-speed of 4-speed tranny. (If in doubt, look at shifter. :) )

northwet is on it - by front i meant the ones in the tranny, not the rear diff.

i used to have pictures of a bad transmission that i had messed with showing those seals, but can't find them anymore. i was told by john from kentucky...and i don't know that i've heard him say something yet about soobs that wasn't dead on....that the large cover you have to remove to pull these seals out also lines up some pinion or something inside the diff so be very careful doing it. the torque is important. i was told if i really wanted to do it to mark the position of the cover before starting to turn it and then count how many turns it takes to remove it...and install the exact same way. but i decided it sounded like too much work and risk for a seal that wasn't leaking anyway.

someone else also told me that those seals you see are basically just external *dust* seals and there is another seal behind that to prevent oil from leaking.....but i don't remember who told me that so i would ask before i assume any of that is correct.

hopefully i'm talking about the same thing here and not just creating a mess for you. do you have an FSM? i messed with my transmission before i had an FSM so i've never looked it up.

good luck and have fun,

Haven't looked at my FSM, so take this with a grain of salt.

The seals should be accessible after removing the side retainers (the ribbed screw-in things). Yes, these retainers provide preload to the bearings (and I believe the diff carrier). Their current "set" needs to marked and remembered, also the number of turns that they are turned in. As long as you reinstall to these settings you should be OK; if you replace side bearings it may be different.

The seals should be accessible, as you are supposed to be able replace the side bearings this way.