Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blue Book Value '86GL Wagon??

Regretfully, I must part with my 1.8 EA82 GL Wagon 4WD 5spd. I posted it in the "for sale " Forum but only got one reply. It needs an engine re-seal, some exhaust work, some front end work and some frame rail restoration. It's got 177k miles, but I dont want to throw any more $ in it as I'm now restoring a '71 VW Camper. I really hate to part with it, it's been a great car and I would prefer to see someone in the USMB family take it off my hands. My only other option is to donate it to charity, which is the reason for this posting. What is the blue book value of my SOOB?

I agree..its not worth a whole lot. When I bought my 92 FWD 5spd Loyale which is pretty much rust free (just some minor around the windshield and has 2 other small spots I have to fix that werent there when I bought it).It didnt have any leaks and it came with service records from the previous owner..I only paid $600 for it ....and that was from a used car dealer. My 88 GL wagon I got for $500.....back in 96 and my 90 Justy I got for $500 in 98.

Thats the biggest shame about these things....they arent worth a whole lot unless they are pristine with super low mileage.Only plus is yours being 4WD..the FWD ones are next to worthless.Sentimental value though is a different story.

Meeky, if I can get more off my taxes from donating this I might go that way. It's got brand new front tires, I just put brand new rear shoes on the rear and had the drums turned, exhaust is brand new from Y pipe back, Y pipe needs some spot welding where I installed a sleeve to make up for some after market imperfections. The engine has a new water pump, timing belts cam seals, but it leaks oil where the heads meet the block, hence the re-seal. Hitachi was rebuilt about 2 years ago. It flunked inspection by a nit picky dude by the same garage that has always done what work on it I couldn't do, I'm so piss*d. My son took it in for inspection instead of me so maybe that's why he cited a "loose steering column", funny there was no problem with it the year before, in addition to a leaky exhaust, rear wheel cylinder leak (residual brake cleaner fluid) and a "loose connection at the front strut and spindle"?????? They were the same guys that replaced all the bearings on that side months ago. So, I'm not dealing with garage any more to say the least. If you can deal with a leaky engine and spot weld the Y pipe this car should pass safety and emmisions, though you might not need emmissions in Ruckersville. Frame rails holes are another story. I would want more than 100 bucks for it, maybe 300, bring a set of tags and you can keep the new interstate battery in it too..........Let me know