Ultimate Subaru Message Board

noob question......

:banghead:

Hi all,

my 93 brat has just failed it's MOT test on a RHS parking brake not working. got the thing home and had a look, the cable part is fine, but the lever arm is going right back to the stop [cable fixing point], yet you can still turn the disk by hand!, I have done some searching around but all I can find is posts on parking brakes binding, and non on the brakes not working

help please

Welcome to the board. A 93 Brat - what year did they stop making Brats in the foreign market? - Since I don't know anything about Brats after 1986, I would have to suggest you look for an adjustment devise connected to the cable. If I understand the problem correctly, you failed because the parking brake on't hold the car and it needs to be adjusted/ tightened up. Try popping the console and looking for an adjuster there. Wish I knew about (and had access to) newer Brats.

I would recommend taking the caliper off and seeing if the mechanism in/on the caliper is working properly, and the cable is actually working properly on the brat.

yup, I reckon the caliper off is my next step......

the cable mechanism up to the caliper is fine, I think it may be the lever arm on the caliper that is causing the problem, but I am not sure how so far

Welcome to the board. A 93 Brat - what year did they stop making Brats in the foreign market? - Since I don't know anything about Brats after 1986, I would have to suggest you look for an adjustment devise connected to the cable. If I understand the problem correctly, you failed because the parking brake on't hold the car and it needs to be adjusted/ tightened up. Try popping the console and looking for an adjuster there. Wish I knew about (and had access to) newer Brats.

they stopped build on the brats in 89 i think, mine was registered in 93, so I assume it was sat around in a storage facility for a few year in the gap.

Does the car pull to one side when you apply the brakes?

nah I thought of that, but the main brakes are fine:confused:. I am gonna drop the caliper later today and have a stare at it,

according to the haynes manual the mechanism contains a part [in the caliper] called a connecting link [looks to me like some sort of spacer]----- I am wondering if this has somehow fallen out or not been refitted after somebody has swapped the pads or sommat??

cheers for the help so far