Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I lost reverse in my 84 D/R GL

Mac

... I'm pretty sure it's clutch related rather than tranny related.

Here's the timeline: Clutch was slipping so I adjusted the clutch cable. It started grabbing great. Shortly thereafter it started getting harder and harder to get it into reverse. No grinding, just tough getting it into gear. Also, I could hear a slight metal-on-metal noise with the vehicle in neutral and the clutch out. If I pushed the clutch in slightly, the noise would disappear. I assumed I overadjusted the clutch cable but was too busy to mess with it. A few days later I couldn't get the car in reverse, though clutch was fine, grabbing well and all four forward gears work great. The slight metal-on-metal noise became a bit louder but then suddenly I push in or let up on the clutch and it sounds like a cat fight under my hood. Clutch grabbing well still for forward gears.

So ... I think it's the release bearing at the root of the problem. Anyone want to confirm based on info?

I've never changed a clutch and am not going to start now but I've got a mechanic I trust who will use parts I order. So what am I going to need. It's a 4WD, D/R, 4-spd '84 GL Wagon.

Tracking down parts for it, IPA says the kit contains 225mm clutch disc, pressure plate/clutch cover, release bearing (but no clips), clutch tool and no pilot bearing. Auto Parts World says no kits but other stuff plus release bearing with clips, and pilot bearing -- choice of sealed, unsealed.

Any and all help appreciated!

Reverse gears aren't constant-mesh (non-synchromesh), so actually have to slide together tooth-to-tooth. Sometimes really hard when clutch is not right.

Can you put the car in reverse with engine off? May take some rocking the car back and forth. If so this probably points to just clutch crankiness. Possible also that you bent the shifter fork by applying too much pressure as reverse started to "fail".

Can you put the car in reverse with engine off? May take some rocking the car back and forth. If so this probably points to just clutch crankiness. Possible also that you bent the shifter fork by applying too much pressure as reverse started to "fail".

Nope. Tried this with engine off. Do you mean the screeching could be something other than release/throwout bearing, e.g. bent shifter fork? Right before I couldn't get it back into reverse I was pumping the pedal. First few times it worked and I was able to get it into gear. Then ... not ... and screeching cats.

Nope. Tried this with engine off. Do you mean the screeching could be something other than release/throwout bearing, e.g. bent shifter fork? Right before I couldn't get it back into reverse I was pumping the pedal. First few times it worked and I was able to get it into gear. Then ... not ... and screeching cats.
The trouble going in might be fork (stress the "might"); any noise it might cause would be grinding teeth-to-teeth. If it won't go into reverse with engine off and some finagling to line up reverse teeth (rocking car, etc), then it is unlikely to be just a clutch issue. I don't have any good ideas for you to try, not until the clutch gets changed. Sorry.

Naah.. just look at the bright side. This just means that you need to install a 6" lift, and 31s.. that way, instead of having to back up to avoid a mudhole, you can just romp ight through it! And with the lift, you'd also miss all those hidden stumps in the brush.. so when you miss your turn on the trail, just make a uturn instead of reversing. :D

is there allot of slop in your shifter? mine ground a fair bit until i replaced a little ruber washer at the bottom of the shifter in the cup on the tranny. The metal on metal may be the shifter pivot bolt's head (where is connects to fork) scrapping down the tranny becuase it needs more angle once the rubber washer has been destroyed as the bottom can now move abot. Oh yeh in my cousin's brumby the last person working on it put the bolt back in the wrong way so there had been like a decent trench wore out of the side of the tranny where the threaded end had been scrapping down. oh yeh this had better be an ea81