Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto trans - over drive question

Here's a question, at what point (speed) does your Baja shift into overdrive?

Mine drops in at about thirty! Can that be right? What are the specs on this? Anyone else notice this, or is this an issue for the dealer to hear about?

Perry

These transmissions don't really have an overdrive per-say. 4th gear is really the over-driven gear.

As for the shift patterns. The AT's like to shift all the way up to 4th gear, regardless even if you're just doing 25 mph. My AT did that in my car. What you may be feeling is the torque converter locking and unlocking.

Either way, I'd say it's fine.

That is what I was afraid of. I was hoping for a quick adjustment that would keep it out of 4th (OD) until about 50 or better mph. Oh well.

These transmissions don't really have an overdrive per-say. 4th gear is really the over-driven gear.

As for the shift patterns. The AT's like to shift all the way up to 4th gear, regardless even if you're just doing 25 mph. My AT did that in my car. What you may be feeling is the torque converter locking and unlocking.

Either way, I'd say it's fine.