Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No power to fuel pump HELP!

Sooby I see you are relatively new,

some of us have chosen to not display the section called "Signatures"

If the car you are working on is displayed there, I'm sorry.

Some people also work on other than their own Soobs.

But the FPCU varies on the different model Subes we talk

about here.

Please give the year, model, and fuel system of the car

(carb, Spfi, MPFI, or turbo MPFI) when posting questions.

Most fuel systems have the ground or negative side of the fuel pump under the control of the FPCU.

The hot or positive side is controlled via the FPR (Fuel Pump Relay) which in turn is controlled via the ignition switch/relay.

Trying to help

Sooby I see you are relatively new,

some of us have chosen to not display the section called "Signatures"

If the car you are working on is displayed there, I'm sorry.

Some people also work on other than their own Soobs.

But the FPCU varies on the different model Subes we talk

about here.

Please give the year, model, and fuel system of the car

(carb, Spfi, MPFI, or turbo MPFI) when posting questions.

Most fuel systems have the ground or negative side of the fuel pump under the control of the FPCU.

The hot or positive side is controlled via the FPR (Fuel Pump Relay) which in turn is controlled via the ignition switch/relay.

Trying to help

Thank you for the input, sorry for not mentioning the Year Make and Model it is an 82 GL Wagon w/ new weber carb and now new fuel pump. I believe now that the FPCU may possibly been the problem that caused the carb swap in the first place. Please refer to this post http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25539 but now I have all the new components and just want this darn thing to run. Should I by pass the FPCU and wire it into the ignition switch? Would I also need to wire in a switch for the electric choke? And do any of you know if an 82 has a FPR and where that might be? There are two relays above the FPCU but they may just be blinker and flasher switches. Haven't got that far yet.

Well I just but a splice connector between the ignition (large black) and the blue wire with the red strip. I used the blue with red strip because that is connected to the positive on the new pump. I'm not sure if that was the correct one but the other black wire did not have a connection at the harness plug. Its working, so the black must be working as the ground. Thanks everyone.