Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Josh (Legacy 777), How's Your Tranny?

It's been a couple of months now since you completed your 5MT swap. I'd be interested in hearing your reactions and personal observations after driving it for a while. Must have felt a bit odd, at least for the first few days, to climb in a familiar car but with a different driving mode, right?

The tranny's alright. Yeah it was a little weird getting in the car. I really don't drive the car much on a regular basis because I'm like 5min from work, and short trips are worse for it.

Overall I'm happy with the conversion. The AWD gives you much more grip. My main beef with the swap is the shifting. Subaru MT's are not very smooth shifting transmissions, and the throws aren't short. I've done some tweaking with the linkage and tried different fluids. I still get a little bit of grind between 1st & 2nd if I accelerate hard in 1st and try to shift. It seems to be a less of an issue when cold, so I'm going to probably try some 80w90 gear oil and see if that helps.

Other observation with the automatic vs. manual is the automatic in some occasions seemed to provide better torque delivery, and more then likely it did, because of how you get torque multiplication with the torque converter. Also, the automatic had better gearing the manual.

I just wish there were some decent roads to actually drive the car on...

I just wish there were some decent roads to actually drive the car on...

Josh,

You need to come up to the Dragon Meet next spring, X35 is coming up from Brownsville, TX (right down on the Mexican border) so you could caravan up with him.....

You could definitely give the manual tranny a work out on the Dragon!

Josh, some dealers here in Denmark recommend a straight 85 og 90 gear oil.

I of course have turned to a new religion and insist on using Castrol TAF-X, which is 75W-90 and really flatters the Subaru gearbox. AKA "Syntorq" stateside.

If you want a good drive: Get your car on a freight ship and we can meet at the Nürburgring "Nordschleife". I am planning to go again next summer :-)

Josh, some dealers here in Denmark recommend a straight 85 og 90 gear oil.

I of course have turned to a new religion and insist on using Castrol TAF-X, which is 75W-90 and really flatters the Subaru gearbox. AKA "Syntorq" stateside.

If you want a good drive: Get your car on a freight ship and we can meet at the Nürburgring "Nordschleife". I am planning to go again next summer :-)

I was in Denmark (Holstebro) back when I was school, on a school trip....you were just a wee pup then....I think it was 1981.....:D ....man I feel old.....:rolleyes: