Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo Confusion

This is Probably a Stupid Question

Where is there vaccum in the manifold to run disty, brake booster and vent controls if the engine is turbo'd??? being turbos produce positive pressure to the cyclinders

I suppose the brake booster and vents could be taken from before the turbo but I cant imagine this would work to control the disty advance

Anyone Please prove me Wrong

I believe it has something to do with the venturi effect. The intake manifold will always product a vacuum as long as air is passing through it, all the turbo does is back more air into the same space, there is still a vacuum created. Try this, place a tube into a bucket of water, now blow air across the opening at a 90 degree angle, if done right, you will suck water out of the pucket, that will happen because of the vacuum you are creating by the air passing over the opening.

Brake Booster and vent controls both run off of vacuum canisters with check valves that stop them from going into positive pressure.

Don't know about the disty. Never had a turbo car with a vacuum advance disty

Brake boosters have one-way check valves, store enough "vacuum" for a couple of uses, and rarely are used under boost conditions. :)

Distributor doesn't want to see vacuum for advance under boost. Some systems (not necessarily Subaru) use a pressure retard on the disty.

I'm having some confusion too... because my vacuum is fluctuating and causing my vents and 4wd not to work right... vents won't work and 4wd won't disengage while excellerating... decellerating they both work fine...

I'm not sure where the problem is... I've even tried putting a one-way valve in around the white vacuum canister but it didn't help... I really need to just look at somebody else's turbo wagon to make sure my hoses are in the right spot so I can start troubleshooting other things... *shrug*

I found out it's really annoying in the snow, with intermittent defrost and 4wd controls... ):

This is Probably a Stupid Question

Where is there vaccum in the manifold to run disty, brake booster and vent controls if the engine is turbo'd??? being turbos produce positive pressure to the cyclinders

I suppose the brake booster and vents could be taken from before the turbo but I cant imagine this would work to control the disty advance

Anyone Please prove me Wrong

I'm having some confusion too... because my vacuum is fluctuating and causing my vents and 4wd not to work right... vents won't work and 4wd won't disengage while excellerating... decellerating they both work fine...

I'm not sure where the problem is... I've even tried putting a one-way valve in around the white vacuum canister but it didn't help... I really need to just look at somebody else's turbo wagon to make sure my hoses are in the right spot so I can start troubleshooting other things... *shrug*

I found out it's really annoying in the snow, with intermittent defrost and 4wd controls... ):

That white canister should have a check valve on it from the factory. Both the vents and the 4wd solenoids run off of that canister. its could be leaking, or the check valve could be broken/backwards.

yeah, the first thing I did was replace the white canister and it had no effect... I suppose it's possible that I ended up with another bad one, but the odds are in my favor... *shrug*

what's weird is that the vent controls don't go into that cylinder, but run across it... it T's off coming from the engine, one part going into the cylinder and the other going to the vent controls... then the other connection on the canister goes to the 4wd control...

I suppose I could get ANOTHER canister and see if that's it... it seems like the most-likely cause of the problem... but it's odd that I'd have grabbed a bad one from the yard... it seems to hold pressure, as I remember it moving some air when I disconnected it...

it's the most annoying problem and I have no idea what's wrong... I'd just like to have constant vent and 4wd controls...

That white canister should have a check valve on it from the factory. Both the vents and the 4wd solenoids run off of that canister. its could be leaking, or the check valve could be broken/backwards.